Can I do this - Part II

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Abson 3

Reaction score
So, I see from a previous post here that a recommendation was to replace the muffler only. What is the difference between a muffler only and muffler with exhaust pipe and tip? Is it strictly appearance or is there a performance improvement with a new exhaust pipe and tip?

It depends on what you are trying to accomplish but if you eliminate the resonator you will need a new exhausts pipe and tip (if desisred)...

Would the resonator be eliminated with a replacement? I want (actually, the wife wants) a stock sound at idle, with little change at cruise. I still want a nice rumble when I mash it. I was looking at a Magnaflow system, including pipe and tip. But now I understand you can just replace the muffler?

I want (actually, the wife wants) a stock sound at idle, with little change at cruise. I still want a nice rumble when I mash it.

This is the best description of what I'm looking for as well. :banana:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just replace the muffler and leave the resonator if you want quiet at idle. All I did if put a magnaflow on. Sounds good at WOT..

And this resonator, where might that be so I don't accidently remove it while removing the muffler. And whats this I hear about welding? Is the muffler bolted on to the pipes, or do I need to have it cut off and re-weld the new one on?

it looks like a coke can got stuck in the exhaust pipe lol

u could look at the SUV 40 and 50 series mufflers from flowmasters

Old muffler needs to be cut off. You can always replace the muffler first, and then if you choose to, cut out the resonator later if you decide that you want it louder.

The magna-flo kit increases tubing to 2 1/2" from 2 1/4". If you want quiet at idle and cruise some rumble at mash. Cut the stock muffler out and weld the magna-flo as far to the rear as possible. At the hanger where the tailpipe, go's over the axle. The shop will have to fab a piece from the converter to the muffler. The stock muffler is longer. The resonator is on the stock tailpipe. It will lower the rumble.

The magna-flo is straight thru, same for the resonator. You will gain some free flow and sound. Not as much sound or free flow, as the kit. I have the kit magna-flo kit. It has some sound at idle and throttle up and cruise. Not annoying to me. Im use to performance cars anyway. Sounds as if you and your wife are not going to have what you both really want.

edit; I would find a nice ss tip. Have the shop rework the funky way the stock tailpipe dumps. If you just splice in a muffler.

Last edited by a moderator:
Old muffler needs to be cut off. You can always replace the muffler first, and then if you choose to, cut out the resonator later if you decide that you want it louder.

Exactly, removing the resonator will increase the sound externally and a slight drone within the cabin.

So, It would be easier for me to replace all at once, pipe and muffler, since I have no idea how to weld!

Personally I would just have just the muffler replaced. In my opinion, the drone is very annoying. You can always go back and have the resonator removed at a later date if just the muffler replacement doesn't give you the sound you are looking for.

The new muffler would get welded in to the back of where the old muffler was, so that it is more towards the rear of the cab.

Then from the front of the new muffler to the end of the cats, just a long piece of tubing to fill in the spot left over (because the OEM muffler is much longer).

The new muffler would get welded in to the back of where the old muffler was, so that it is more towards the rear of the cab.

Good point, the further back it is mounted, the less drone in the cabin...

Cheapest thing is to buy Dans' muffler. Have it welded in.

I concur.:D:D:D

Seriously though, take my muffler to a local shop, they'll cut off your old muffler and weld mine in its place with a short section of tube to make up for the difference in length. They'll probably weld a small hanger bracket to it as well to help support it. Shouldn't be more than about $50 to have it done. If they want more than that, find another shop.

Dan,

I would love to purchase yours, but I am just getting everything ready for when the current situation at my office improves. We are looking at furloughs of about 2 weeks this year. Gonna put a hold on any more improvements until the situation improves, or I know my department is safe.

So my last question is, what provides better performance, replacing the muffler and leaving the remaining stock exhaust, or replacing all from the muffler to the tip?

So my last question is, what provides better performance, replacing the muffler and leaving the remaining stock exhaust, or replacing all from the muffler to the tip?

Difference is negligible...