Buying a Motorcycle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason McCain

Reaction score
Does anyone know if motorcycle manufacturers/dealers have annual model/year end sales? Say for a yamaha V-star classic? I'm in the market and plan to buy in the next few months and was wondering if they had an annual MSRP or interest rate I should be on the lookout for. Thanks for you help.

Damn Jason, where've been?

Motorcycles normally do have some kind of year end close outs...unless you buy a Harley. I'd suggest going to your local Yamaha dealer, or going online to see what's currently avaible, or what might be coming down the pipe (pike? eh...).

Have you taken motorcycle riding lessons, or have you been riding someone elses bike to learn on? I'm asking because a V-Star is a large, heavy 'cycle. It won't ride like a sport bike, or even a dual purpose bike. And as with any bike, the power to weight ratio is very high and things can get out of hand in a hurry.

Oh, and make sure you check the "Organ Donor" box whilst getting you motorcycle license, lol.

" I'm asking because a V-Star is a large, heavy 'cycle. It won't ride like a sport bike, or even a dual purpose bike. And as with any bike, the power to weight ratio is very high and things can get out of hand in a hurry."

Power to weight high on a v-star? I have owned every style of bike you can buy and your v-stars/shadows/etc. are going to be cake to ride compared to a sport bike or dual purpose. Most cruisers weigh 500 to 600 pounds and have 50 to 100 hp, my Triumph Daytona 955i weighs a little over 400 pounds and have 150 hp, its a challenge to keep the front wheel on the ground. You should have no problems handling a v-star and I must say those are some damn good looking bikes.

As far as special financing I would go used, you can get a bike with a couple thousand miles on it for 20% less than new and go to capitolone for a decent interest rate on the loan. I bought my bike on ebay for half of the price of a new one with 3K miles on it.

Buy American, get a harley or victory. The new ones are very nice and they will keep there value. You'll be lucky to sell a metric cruiser for half the price you paid a year later if you decide riding is'nt for you. I have a Heritage softail with 40k and no issues, my friend bought a new 1100 v-star and had issues with brakes and the clutch within the first 10k. I know, people say metric bikes are more reliable and ride better but I don't see it, but hey, what do I know I'm a Harley Guy!:)

I do think Harleys are way over priced, you could buy another S/T for that price.

"Buy American, get a harley or victory. The new ones are very nice and they will keep there value. You'll be lucky to sell a metric cruiser for half the price you paid a year later if you decide riding is'nt for you. I have a Heritage softail with 40k and no issues, my friend bought a new 1100 v-star and had issues with brakes and the clutch within the first 10k. I know, people say metric bikes are more reliable and ride better but I don't see it, but hey, what do I know I'm a Harley Guy!

I do think Harleys are way over priced, you could buy another S/T for that price."

Buy a Harley? Not everyone has $20K to spend on a bike. I bought an 03 Shadow ACE for $6K brand new, rode it for 18 months and sold it to the first person that looked at it for $5500. I don't understand why people spend 4X on a bike because its a HD. I will not own a bike worth more than my car. Lets see, $5K Jap bike and a $15K boat or a $20,000 stripped new Harley.

Victory? Are you kidding me? Have you looked at the resale on those, I have seend YUGO's hold more value. They are made by POLARIS!!!!! My biddy just got a 1500 cc Victory with every bag and piece of chrome you can buy for $5000 used, $30,000 new with all of the options.

Just my $0.02 :)

"Buy American, get a harley or victory. The new ones are very nice and they will keep there value. You'll be lucky to sell a metric cruiser for half the price you paid a year later if you decide riding is'nt for you. I have a Heritage softail with 40k and no issues, my friend bought a new 1100 v-star and had issues with brakes and the clutch within the first 10k. I know, people say metric bikes are more reliable and ride better but I don't see it, but hey, what do I know I'm a Harley Guy!

I do think Harleys are way over priced, you could buy another S/T for that price."

Buy a Harley? Not everyone has $20K to spend on a bike. I bought an 03 Shadow ACE for $6K brand new, rode it for 18 months and sold it to the first person that looked at it for $5500. I don't understand why people spend 4X on a bike because its a HD. I will not own a bike worth more than my car. Lets see, $5K Jap bike and a $15K boat or a $20,000 stripped new Harley.

Victory? Are you kidding me? Have you looked at the resale on those, I have seend YUGO's hold more value. They are made by POLARIS!!!!! My biddy just got a 1500 cc Victory with every bag and piece of chrome you can buy for $5000 used, $30,000 new with all of the options.

Just my $0.02 :)

I agree with you Jeremy. Other than the 'name', I don't understand what the big deal is about Harleys. I'd rather have a Japanese bike for less than 1/4 the cost.

Hey, I DID SAY "i thought Harleys were over priced" but thats still all i would buy. All jap bikes are is a cheaper knock-off of Harley styling. You half to admit, Harley has an original classic styling that they have been loyal to (except v-rod) since 1903. Every Jap bike is trying to look like a harley these days and it's not working. Harley had 25% of all motorcycle sales last year, they must be doing something right. Just my opinion:D

....And if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.

Let's just let it go guys, this is a no-win argument, you don't understand the big deal about Harley's, I don't understand squids. Different orbits.

Jeremy-

That's kinda my point....if he has learned to ride on a sport bike, then jumps to a cruiser, it will be a little hairy at first.

I'm with you chops.....they'll never get it, and it's no use fighting the fight. Just park your HD in thier driveway so it can mark it's territory...lol. There's a reason why the coolest bikes in the world are based on Harley's...

I understand HD, my family owns many, they are far and a above the Jap bikes but you get what you pay for and I am cheap, if I don't feel like I got the biggest bang for my buck I wounld never enjoy it.......$400/month for a bike? Only if its a 12 month loan. :) I have the means but I would rather invest then have a HD marking my driveway.

Park a Harley in the driveway and it will be stolen. I couldn't even afford the insurance today on one. Had a 74 Sportster once. It was stolen. Replaced it with a Honda 750. It was stolen also. Neither was insured but paid less then $2000 for each back then. They will steal any bike but I would hate to insure a $20,000 one. Besides only yuppies drive Harleys anymore.

Yuppies? All the 40-50 year old dads that live in our neighborhood have been getting Harleys recently. Guy across the street from us, real good friend, just bought a HDF150 and a NICE bike. They match. I guess it's the new thing with the mid-life crisis now. Nobody wants a sports car, they want a bike.

It's funny because these are like the people that are "highest on the social ladder" and to see them riding down the street head to toe in leather and chrome, it's a sight.

I'd never get a bike, because if I did, it'd be fast, and I'd probably be wrapped around a tree in less than a week.

Truc Trac, wish I had pics of my uncles bike...he's about as hardcore of a biker as they come, although he's calmed down with age, but he lived the life and lived it hard for many years. Also is an ex-logger who logged the Pacific Northwest, anyway, he's building up a real nice Triumph bobber. He also has an old Norton that he can't keep head gaskest on because the compression ratio is so dang high.....boy does that bike scream.

Yuppies the only one driving HDs? lol, now that's a funny one. You should really get to a bike show, Tom, before making that assertion. You can bet that all thos choppers, bobbers, and dragers are running knock-off Harley motors and frames based off of a stock Harley.

Not talking show bikes Tiger. They are in a class of their own. Made that statement about yuppies kind of tounge in cheek. Have 2 brother-in-laws that have old Harleys. Neither are yuppies. Of course both their bikes are over 30 years old. Neither one could afford a new one today. It is a different breed that is buying them now. Today's Harleys are way out of range of the kind of person that was buying them 20 or more years ago. Luckily, after owning about 5 different motorcycles in my life, I have outgrown them. I prefer the creature comforts of a car/truck now. Plus, there are just to many crazy drivers on the road these days.

Nice bike Truc Trac, here is a pick of my new Triumph

e0f0609c9a9d25abf4d7a7f23f2596ef.jpg

Latest posts