Buying a 2001 Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLE320

Reaction score
I am currently looking at buying a 2001 Sport Trac, it has 176,000 miles on it. Is there anything I should know or look for? Are there any major known problems with this model as well?

The SOHC V6 is known to have some issues. Just got mine a few weeks ago knowing the timing chains rattled a bit at start up and around 2500 RPM but the price was right. When I change the oil I'm gonna have a look see in the oil pan for any plastic pieces of the timing chain cassettes. If none are found I'll probably just stick in new timing chain tensioners for now. Eventually I'll pick a strategy to either pull the engine or back-out the transmission to replace the timing chains and cassettes.

On the bright side there is a huge inventory of inexpensive new aftermarket and used U-Pull-It parts for these. Many parts for the Ford Sport Trac are shared with the Ford Explorer SUV, Ford Ranger pick-up, Mercury Mountaineer SUV, Lincoln Aviator SUV and Mazda B3000 & B4000 Series pick-ups so don't just limit your parts selection to the Sport Trac when searching ;)

I put a set of new shocks straight away on mine and it really helped the ride. Like 95% better.