break flush

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fenwick

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Aloha, it is time to drain and replace the break fluid in my 2002 Track. I have read that pumping the peddle to create pressure is bad cause the seals could get damaged. An alternative is to turn on the key and the ABS pump will flush the old fluid. Is the way or is it hard on the pump?

TKS Ed

I've been pumping pedal for 250000 miles worth of brake jobs. No probs. I siphon old fluid out of reservoir, then open bleeder and either pump or let gravity do the work. If you pump, put long hose on the bleeder. Start with lf, then rf, lf then rr bleeders. Place brake fluid bottle upside down in master cyl to keep it fill..

The pressure should not be a problem; just don't jump on the pedal - you can use far less pressure than when stopping the vehicle.

In general, begin with the brake farthest from the master cylinder and work toward it (typically, RR, LR, RF, LF). This is important when only bleeding the system, not as much for a full flush.

I've been doing brakes and pumping the pedal for over 40 years and never encountered any problem with brake seals leaking. The only trick to flushing the fluid is to not let the Master Cylinder reservoir run empty.....so keep checking it every few pumps of the pedal.

By the way...You don't "Drain the old fluid"...you force it out as you pump in the fresh fluid...when you see clean fluid coming out the bled nut...your job is done on that wheel.

Start at the farthest wheel from the master cylinder and move to the next closest wheel. That would mean you should bleed the brakes in this order: RR, LR, RF, LF

...Richard

"I have read that pumping the peddle to create pressure is bad cause the seals could get damaged"

Yes, but it's not from pumping...but rather allowing the pedal to travel inside the master cylinder where it hasn't traveled before. That happens when you push the pedal to the floor. As a result, it could travel over areas where there is some rust and pivots inside the cylinder. Best to draw the fluid out using a mini-vac tool. Pushing the pedal is old school...haven't done that in 25 years.

Latest posts