Brakes - how long should they last

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had the the fronts replaced on my wife's Merc Mountaineer today...an '04 with just over 37K miles. The brakejob was just over $300, everything included. Had a nail in one of the tires, that was patched for $28.50; oil change for $25; also a pinion seal or somesuch needed replacing as it leaked, another $130 or so...all total, $575. Yup, you guessed it, car just came off warranty, and this is the first major out of pocket hit...and I would assume all would be considered normal wear and tear, so even if I had an extended warranty I would be SOL I suppose. Maybe the pinion seal would be covered under an ext warranty, but I doubt it.

Normally I shop parts online, haggle prices and all that, but I was painting 6 new permacast porch columns today (prime + 2 coats top), and painting other outside trim and really didn't have the time. My loss is the dealer's gain. The prices seemed high to me.

But, they did snap a new plastic rivit on my ST's driver side seat belt so the belt doesn't fall to the floor anymore. That was gratis so I'm living large!

TJR

Latest posts