Brakes and Grinding

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn Foster

Reaction score
Just noticed that when I step on the brakes I get a grinding feeling through the pedal and it kind of studders to a stop. This deos not happen all the time it only happens once and a while, but it makes it feel like you are not going to stop. What could be the cause of the problem. I have 20's on my truck but it never did this in the past, I have had the rims on it for 3 years. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Take a wheel off and check all of the mounting bolts on the calipers. I had one come out on my van 1 time because others worked on it.

It sounds like your brake pads are worn out and your are grinding on the rotors.. My guess is you are in for a big $$$$ repair bill.

...Rich

2001 ST I had uneven brake wear problem RH outboard brake pad had plenty left not close to tab, but RH inboard pad was worn out which cause me to loose a rotor, did not hear any noise or anything.

Same thing happened to me push brake pedal get a shudder and vibration, removed front wheels and found RH inboard brake pad worn out, outboard pad had plenty of meat left, so for some reason I had unven brake wear, replaced LH & RH brake pads and rotors, noise went away no problems since. Anyone else have unven brake wear, 2001 ST.