Brake Lights Not Coming On

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, so I have a problem with my brake lights as they do not come on whenever I press the brake pedal. The cargo light brakes work if I press the brake but the two main ones do not. My turn signal switch works just fine. My reverse lights also do not come on either. I've done some research and it seems to be the brake light relay that may be causing the issue but I am not 100% sure. Just wondering if anyone knew what the fix to this was, the truck wont pass inspection as it is. Thank you!

isn't there a switch on the pedal?

IIRC, the high-mount center brake light is controlled separately from the lower brake lights. Something tells me that's it's controlled by the switch on the master cylinder.

If the brake pedal position (BPP) switch is faulty, the side brake lights will usually stay on, even with the pedal released.

Last edited by a moderator:
As previously stated, check the brake light switch (BPP), but be sure to check the multi-function switch connector and wiring harness on the steering column, I know it sounds weird, but you brake wiring goes through the steering column because your brake lights and turn signal lights use the same dual filament bulb.

The Gen-1 Sport Tracs had a notorious problem with the tilt steering wheel. The problem is the wiring harness might not have enough slack to allow for the full up-down tilting of the steering wheel. That can break wires or pull wires out of the connector...This can cause strange an intermittent malfunctions of everything wired through the steering column...including brake light, turn-signals, horn, wipers, ignition, starter, etc.

I was baffled and surprised that the brake light wiring went through the steering column....but it does. I can only assume it's because the brake lights and turn signals share the same bulb?

...Rich