Brake light / fluid + ABS light = radio cuts out?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Smith

Reaction score
2004 Gen 1 XLT.

This is hard to believe.

My red brake light on the dash was coming on at stop signs, so I knew my brake fluid was low (this has happened before; where the fluid goes is a mystery...). Before I could get home to top it off, the yellow ABS light started intermittently coming on (only while moving), and when that happened, the factory radio / CD player would cut out intermittently (and a few times, the overhead temperature / compass gauges would flicker). I topped off the brake fluid, it was very low. Problem still intermittent. Any ideas? How could the radio and brake fluid levels be related??

Thanks.

Having a battery or charging system that is failing can cause those symptoms. What's the resting voltage on your battery (Should be about 12.5v) and with the vehicle idling it should read around 14v. Check that and go from there.

I have a Duralast which is 18 months old which I paid $130 for. I hope that's not it. I don't have a voltage tester, do you think I can go to O'Reilly's and get a test there?

Thank you.

Have it tested at AutoZone who sells and warranties Duralast batteries.

Yup, had the same type issue with a Grand Pix and even the tranny shifted funny. New battery cured the issues up !