Brake ideas?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Maguire

Reaction score
So everyone I have a 2010 V6 ST and my brakes are starting to dwindle, I need new ones. Thought about buying aftermarket. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of brakes to get? Where from? What brand? Any info will be great! Thank you all!

I put a Powerstop kit on my 08 STA about 1 1/2 years ago, probably about 30K miles or so since then. I've been pretty pleased with them, though I might be getting a little warping on the front rotors. Lots of choices on brakes as you'll see from searching this forum. Regardless of what you choose, include a brake fluid flush. Having trouble posting pictures - see some pictures in my library folder named Brakes.

Airman, Not sure if you want to upgrade the whole assembly or just do pads, etc. I personally went to Rockauto.com and ordered new replacement discs. Then sourced out a set of EBC yellowstuff pads. Follow the bed-in instructions to a "T" and you'll be rewarded with 20-30% increase in braking power! A bit more brake dust on the wheels, but it was worth it.

Agree with aftermarket rotors ( I use advance store brand) and EBC pads or Wagners.

Also Flush the brake fluid 100% and use Valvoline synthetic fluid.

The truck will stop awesome.

Todd Z

I use performance friction pads on my '04. I still have my factory rotors. The pads do dust some. They are carbon metalics'. They do not fade from heat. They actually stop great when they are hot. Plus I have noticed they do not wear the rotors down as some ceramics do.

I put the PF pads on my trac before the oem pads were worn out. Glad I did, the stoping power is great on a stock rotor. I have checked my rotor wear. It is almost none. The rotor face's are smooth as glass. If they spec out and arent' warped at pad replacment. I will reuse them and with the PF pads again.

Ceramic pads maybe supposed to wear longer and no dust. IMO, Im not so sure. I have seen several cases where they dont, and they chewed up the rotors. I do brake jobs for freinds and seniors at my church. I recently had an situation where the best ceramic pads from advance didnt last as long as semi-metalics. The rotors needed replacing, but she didnt have the $$. They werent' warped we had to use them. The faces of the rotors didnot wear smooth. It was as if the ceramic pads had hard and soft spots. The AZ semi-met' pads wont get the life, though.

None of my bussiness, but I wonder why so many of our members, replace rotors with every brake job. If the rotors spec out and are in good condition. I clean them up and reuse them.

Good question Eddie.

I do not replace rotors with every brake job as long as the rotors can be turned and they are not causing any major problems. I typically will replace the calipers with rebuild units at every front brake job only because they are fairly cheap and are often available with a 50K mile to lifetime warranty...and I typically will replace the brakes and calipers within 50K miles, so I get the rotors free after the first replacement.

There are some vehicles that have some really bad rotor issues that require replacement more often then normal...Those are vehicles that I would recommend buying a quality aftermarket replacement rotor for.

Many people who experience the vibration, front-end shake and pulsing through the brake pedal, claim it's a warped rotor which is often not true. It is often caused by brake pad material building up on the rotors making them thicker in some spots and giving all the symptoms of a warped rotor. The build up often occurs after a hard braking and the pads are hot and very soft, followed by a full stop. The hot brake pads can melt onto the hot rotors and create a thicker spot on the rotors that leads to vibration and shaking when braking. This is a common problem when braking to exit a high speed highway and then stopping at the end of the exit ramp.

Turning the rotors and using a harder pad material will often the warped rotor symptoms.

...Richard

Latest posts