Brake fluid turns black

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 74048

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have noticed lately that my brake fluid turned black.
I recently flushed it and replaced with new fluid.
What do I need to replace to remedy this issue?
I am considering the rubber brake hoses and master cylinder...
My Truck is a 2002 and has 156,000 miles on it
Rotors and brake pads are all new as well
please advise

thanks
Dave

Being that the fluid only flows one way, towards the anti-lock module and brake calipers. I would tend to wonder if the master-cylinder cups are breaking down. Just thought though.
I have never had fluid turn black. If it is the master-cylinder. You might want to arbitrarly replace it. 156k miles is alot of service life. You might get ahead of an emergency.
If you do replace it get the alluminum one. It has an anodized finnish in the barrel, were the fluid contacts it. The cast iron ones can internaly rust from moisture assorbed by fluid.
It was years ago an another ford. All my parts stores only had the cast iron replacements. So I took mine apart. the barrell was in excelent shape. So I bought a rebuilders kit. My original issue was the booster, but since it had 90k on it. I was going to do a complete job.

Being that the fluid only flows one way, towards the anti-lock module and brake calipers. I would tend to wonder if the master-cylinder cups are breaking down. Just thought though.
I have never had fluid turn black. If it is the master-cylinder. You might want to arbitrarly replace it. 156k miles is alot of service life. You might get ahead of an emergency.
If you do replace it get the alluminum one. It has an anodized finnish in the barrel, were the fluid contacts it. The cast iron ones can internaly rust from moisture assorbed by fluid.
It was years ago an another ford. All my parts stores only had the cast iron replacements. So I took mine apart. the barrell was in excelent shape. So I bought a rebuilders kit. My original issue was the booster, but since it had 90k on it. I was going to do a complete job.

Hi EddieS'04

Thanks for the input! I think I will just replace the master cylinder.
I was thinking that it must be the rubber seals inside of it that are failing. I tow a camping trailer so I would rather be safe and have a new one in there.

thanks again,
Dave
02 Sport Trac

Update on Master Cylinder
I replace MC and it works great now!
The car was mainly using front brakes for stopping...
It must have been this way for a while as I had to replace front disc pads early
I guess the black fluid was a failed seal on the rear brake side of the MC
Sometimes front tire would lock up from hard stop, now all 4 wheels help
This was well worth the time to replace and it was under $80 at Autozone

Latest posts