Bolts breaking everywhere!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Caffyn

Reaction score
Well, found two bolts broken straight off on the passenger side, one on the drivers. Broke three more so far. Yes I'm using CRC on them. Should have the headers in by nightfall. Will run the pipes tomorrow. Looks sorta OK at this point. Just a heads up, more to come....Bob

Really intrested to know if the headers would fit without modifications for those of us who aren't making changes to the exhaust. Also what headers are you using. I think Ford Racing and BBK make shorty headers for our specific engine.

Tuned shorty's. They're from BBK for a Mustang. So I've measured six ways from Sunday and they should fit(read: tight) Should have it all done by Saturday, will give you the gory details then. The studs are breaking on both sides (not a great design) Ended up breaking an EZ-Out in one of the holes. Its fixable so we'll go with plan B on that one! Oh well, talk at ya'll later. Bob

Mine broke on both sides without me even touching them! Had to have them drilled and replaced, but was all covered by warranty. First side was covered under 60k warranty, other side happened at 62 or 64k, I don't recall, but they dealer put that one under the Emissions warranty which is up to 80k I think...

I had them install stage 8 bolts on my 2010 and get rid of those junk ones as soon as i started following threads. i did mine at 15K so they backed right out... good luck!

**UPDATE** the headers clear everything except the shock tower. Will have to rethink this!! Looks like a piece of the tower will get cut away and a new piece that clears will be welded in.... Oh well, see what happens when you try to shove 10lbs of dogs%$# into a 5lb bag. Bob

Bob C,

Ever since this has been posted on this board.

I have noticed f-150's around me with exhaust leaks.

With cooler weather, and windows down. I hear them at stoplights.

Ford has a big problem. More than just sport tracs.

Bob - we had tons of trouble too! I used Boost Brothers (out of business company) and had to move stuff around the steering shaft - For whatever its worth - they say that the factory flows so good that there is only a 4 Bhp gain for most 4.6 headers on trucks. Want to add more? open things up with New High Flow Cats - add 15+ Hp and tadaah! it done!

So... For those of unboosted brothers should we forget headers and get some high flow cats? Any suggestions....

Latest posts