Blues transmission is toast :-(.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Well the transmission in the 2010 Adren just took a dump at 86k. The computer went bad at 81k.

I don't know what's going to happen. Can't see dropping a total of 7k into this truck. It's frustrating!!

https://youtu.be/5Ucp1SUMSao

Last edited by a moderator:
Bummer.

My 2001 sounded like that when it went the second time... The 5R55E Sucks.

I spent 4K getting it rebuilt and had heavy duty clutches and planetaries installed plus a "lifetime" warranty. It gets serviced annually and fluid change every other year for free and has had the converter and valve body replaced for free under that. I have gotten 12 years out of that warranty and was worth every penny. The guy who sold me the warranty hates me. :D

^ You're correct Robert. Either way, feel very bad for Todd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all. Not happy about it at all....

Todd Z

Are there any available kits that can beef up the 6R80? What would be the weak link in them? Clutches? Gear sets? Housing?

Sucks either way, hope the repair goes well

This is on my OTHER 2010 Adren, 4.6 v8. 09 and 2010 have the 6R80.... 2007-09 6R60 Gen 1 5R55S and Gen 2 v6 5R55S.

So my ADREN which is BLUE crapped the bed,

$5,800 at the dealer.....

Todd Z

Yes, like I've said before.....there are some items on my Sport Trac that I have paid to fix myself that are design flaws/poor design that Ford should have caught before they were produced and fixed or at least, recalled them and repaired for free...JMHO. A tranny shouldn't crap out before at least 100,000 miles IMO. Manifold issues, where a new design was made after a couple years of producing the vehicle just to cure the problem should be a recall and a free repair IMO! Plastic radiators, breakable two piece spark plugs and a couple other things are not acceptable IMO.

An if these types of things happen with other makes, they too should be fixed. Makes you wonder if this is why most manufacturers go with a 3 year warranty....to avoid repair costs to them and sell extended warranties to folks who like to have major things covered at least for the time they are making payments on the vehicle.

It sucks that you really have no choice but to fix your 2010 Adren Todd! Most folks don't want to buy a 2 ton vehicle that can't move itself. Just to sell it you have to fix it and if you're going to keep it, you don't really want a cut rate tranny shop to do the repairs. You are really more maintenance upkeep minded than most folks also so if it can happen to you, we are all at risk! Good luck with whatever choice you make!

My '07 V8 6R60 went out at 104k with little to no warning. Did a weird shift about 3 miles from home. Stopped at a traffic light right near my house and it seemed like it was stuck in 3rd. The remaining 1/4 mile to my house it never shifted out of 3rd gear.

About 4 months prior was the only indication, but I didn't connect the dots until after the shop said what had happened. Driving away from a traffic light it felt as if I hit a huge pothole or ran over a 4x4 in the road. No lights on the dash and everything seemed normal.

Shop said that a spring had failed allowing the transmission to shift instead of from 2nd to 3rd, it went 2nd to reverse. Not sure why it worked fine for the 4 months after this happened but it did.

I paid $5600 for a rebuilt 6R60 (Receipt and warranty sheet says they put in a 6R80, but they said it's a misprint). Drive shaft had to be replaced (jolt from shift broke the center carrier out of it, and it's a part that is a part of the driveshaft not individually replaceable), rear end was opened up and checked, and transfer case (which was already seeping at the seam) was opened and inspected. Also replaced a seeping rear main seal since it was already easily accessible.

This was at a local chain transmission shop that came highly recommended, not the dealer. 2yr/24k warranty on it. I'm about 18 months in and approaching 10k on the new transmission. They said that the rebuilt one has some revised design parts in it. Not sure if I believe them though. They did have a hard time sourcing a transmission for it because they said that they are really a trouble free unit and not readily available.

Wife wants me to get rid of the ST after this and wanted me to get rid of it before fixing it. Hard to sell a vehicle for any kind of $$$ with a broken transmission. After getting it back I can't bear to sell it because it's got a new transmission in it. Maybe once the warranty on it runs out I'll consider it.

Had a 2001 ST for years and ordered this '07 in 2006 as soon as the roll down rear window was available. Window sticker even has my name printed on it from the order. Been around here for all of that time. Love the Trac and can't really see myself without it.

Latest posts