Blind Spotz mirrors

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
My uncle has a 2001 Explorer Sport. I happened to look today and he had a little mirror, one of those convex ones, on the little rectangle below the swivel point on the outside mirrors.

The mirrors came on the vehicle when he got it. Since he has a 4 sale sticker on it, I pulled that mirror off to find them for my Trac, my brothers Explorer, and my sisters Explorer.

Anyone ever seen or heard of these? I am going to get me a set of them.

Here are what they look like...

[Broken External Image]:

Tom

I have the round ones mounted on the lower outside edges of my mirrors on my 01 ST. I set mine by sitting normal in the drivers seat. Then by looking straight ahead, lean your head to the left. While in that position set your left side view mirror so you can barely see the side of your vihicle. Then lean your head to the right and do the same with the right side view mirror. I can follow a vehicle from the convex mirror to the side view mirror, to the rear view mirror, to the other side view mirror and finially to the other convex mirror. All this without looking behind me. You are giving yourself 5 mirrors and if you get them adjusted just right you can get rid of your blind spots or at least most of them. I wish I'd learned about this years ago.

Darrel

Tom,

I also have a small round spot mirror on the lower left corner of the drivers side mirror on all my vehicles and I have done that for many years. I love them and they are one of the first things I buy for a new vehicle. The mirror I use is about 1.25" or 1.50" in diameter and only cost about $1.25 at Wal-Mart.

I had a set of those mirrors shown in the photo. I liked the styling, but they don't stick very well to the texture mirror housing and kept falling off. Also, the ones I had for the Explorer would not allow the mirror to fold. The kind that stick to the mirror glass are cheaper and work a whole lot better.

...Rich

I do not like the ones that stick to my mirror because under normal driving I have no need for them. the only time they would come in handy is when towing my trailer to keep an eye at the width between the lanes. My trailer is 8'6" wide.

The ones I posted do not hinder the movement of the mirrors at all.

I am pretty sure some 3M tape used for emblems will have no problem sticking to the textured surface of the mirror housing.

Tom

The only problem I can see with them is adjustability. It looks like they cannot be adjusted by just changing the main mirror angle but the whole housing would have to be moved. I may be wrong...just looks like that from here. Other than that, I like the look and that really wouldn't be much problem since we're talking wide angle viewing anyway.

I use the small round ones that adhere to the larger mirror, and find them invaluable for reducing the blind spots to a great degree. The ones I have actually rotate after you attach them to the mirror, so they can be adjusted based on the height/seat position of the driver, so that my wife can use them, too.

Chet,

Wide angle mirror usually don't need any adjustments since they give a view of about 170-degrees.

Caymen,

The miirros for the Explorer mirrors like we have on the Sport Tracs mounts on the fixed part of the mirror mount exactly like it shows in the photo you posted for the 95-00 Explorer. I can assure you that I had those exact same mirrors and they do prevent the mirror from folding.

Your idea of using 3M-tape may improve the adhesion of the mirrors to the textured body of the mirror, but the 3M-tape is a bit thicker than the tape they used, which will definetly increase the interferrence with the mirror folding. I was very disappointed that stick on mirrors prevented the mirros from folding but they do. The adhesion problem was just a secondary inconvenience. I would have epoxy'd them on if they did not interfer with the folding of the mirror.

...Rich

Richard,

I am not going to argue with you. Since you say you had those exact mirrors, but they did not allow your mirror to fold, I think you installed the mirrors improperly.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, here are 4 thousand of them.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

They don't allow the mirror to fold?

Tom

It is supposed to rain tomorrow. The rain will wash it. If not, there is always next rainfall.

Tom

It rains every time I wash my ST!!! :angry::(:lol:

I likey those mirrors. Thanks Tom!

Caymen,

I was not trying to argue. I only wanted to point out that the ones I purchased prevented the mirror from folding. Yod did not indicate that you had bought the mirrors and mounted them. I was only trying to avoid your being as disappointed as I was

It appears that they changed the design to solve both of the problems I had. The mirrors are a bit thinner and have a wrap-under that allows the mirror to fold and also has the underside of the mirror mount for extra adhesion.

But as usual, you don't fully explain your self or you ask for opionions and then don't like what I say so you want to argue when someone disagrees with you.

...Rich

I have not purchased the mirrors. From my original message in this thread. I will put it in a quote box. I will make the text in bold where it explains where I got the original mirror.

My uncle has a 2001 Explorer Sport. I happened to look today and he had a little mirror, one of those convex ones, on the little rectangle below the swivel point on the outside mirrors.

The mirrors came on the vehicle when he got it. Since he has a 4 sale sticker on it, I pulled that mirror off to find them for my Trac, my brothers Explorer, and my sisters Explorer.

So the mirror I have is not actually mine. I stole it off my uncles Explorer Sport to get the brand name on it since the mirror was on it when he got it. My brother thought it was a stock piece.

I don't know how I could not have explained myself any clearer since the above text I quoted was all in the original message I posted in thie thread. I also used the name of the manufacturer so it could not be confused with any other companies that might make the same thing. I have never seen them before and felt like it might be something other members might be interested in.

I don't recall asking for opinions either since I felt my original message was pretty clear when I said...

Anyone ever seen or heard of these? I am going to get me a set of them.

Was the brand you got called "Blind Spotz" or were they a different brand?

I am not trying to argue, I am just pointing out that my original message was pretty clear. Perhaps you misread the original message I posted?

Tom

Caymen,

You stated i your original post and again in your recent quote that you "Pulled the mirror off to find them for my trac". So I guess I did not understand the meaning or purpose of "Pulling the mirror off to FIND them for your trac"

That indicated to me that you had pulled the little mirror off to FIND a company name where you can get them for your trac. That led me to believe you were going to purchase a set for your Trac.

I just wanted to make you aware that I had purchased the exact same mirrors that were in your original photo about 4 years ago and they would not allow the mirror to fold and the did not stick very well to the textured black plastic mirror body/mount. If the set mounting on your brother's Explorer did not prevent the mirrors from folding, all you had to say was that you tested the folding on your brother's Explorer and they did not interfer with the mirror folding. You only said they did not interfer but did not say you tested it or if the manufacturer said they didn't.

My guess is that the company had complaints about not being able to fold the mirror or the poor adhesion and made modifications to the earlier design.

While you may think every post you make is perfectly clear to you, it is not necessarily received and interpreted by others as you intended it. Several people have indicated on other post that they also misunderstood what you posted and interpreted them the same way I did. Of course it is inconceiveable to you that anyone could misinterpret what you said so we must appologize for not understanding your post.

Sorry I misunderstood your post, and even more sorry that I took the time to reply.

...Rich

I pulled them off my uncles Explorer Sport, not my brothers.

My brother thought the ones on my uncles Explorer Sport were stock.

I pulled the one that was on my uncles Explorer Sport and essentially stole it since it was for sale.

I got the name of the brand that was on my uncles Explorer Sport.

I posted the brand name in my topic. That is why the title is "Blind Spotz mirrors", and not "Blind Spot Mirrors" or "Blind Spots Mirrors".

Were the mirrors you have made by "Blind Spotz" or were they rectungular in shape made by a different company for the Explorers?

Tom