Bilstein 4600 or Rancho RS5000

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A J

Reaction score
Title says it all.

I'm willing to pay the difference, just want to hear from some people and experiences with both.

Set of 4 ranchos around 200-220

Set of 4 belsteins around 300-350

Getting valve cover gaskets and lower ball joints replaced as well. Getting some new tires : BFG AT TAKO2 265/70/16. With an alignment...pretty exciting

KYB is another brand you should throw on the table. Lifetime warranty to original purchaser. I've used Bilsteins on my BMWs and they're great. Wouldn't spend the money for them on a Sport Trac though - the other choices will do the job well at less cost.

If you decide on rancho. In a few months the parent company tenneco. Will have their spring sale 4 for price of 3. On rancho and monroe.

It is a twice a year sale. Spring and october.

I've had KYB (once - 1985 4Runner), Monroe (once 2001 ST), Rancho (thrice - RS5000 on the Runner; RS9000XL on the ST(x2)). I found the KYB to be a bit rough on the 4Runner, but the 5000s are good. The Monroe were too soft for the front of the ST, but good for the rear, though. The RS9000XL have adjustable damping (I run 6-3/f-r) and I like them, a lot. Bilsteins have a lifetime warranty which is good insurance (unless you don't like them).

FYI - I replaced the 9000s with another set at 60,000 miles not because they were bad, but because I replaced the entire front-end and all tires and figured a new set was prudent. I didn't really notice a difference. They run about $99.00 each. Wait for the spring sale.

Latest posts