Best way to change power steering fluid

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
I was going to use a suction gun to remove the fluid then pour in new Motorcraft ATF. However, I believe I would have to do this twice since it would not drain the system totally. Is their a better method to my maddness or is this the best way to perform this service?

I have always removed the return line from the pump, and let it hang over a pan. I let the system drain, then I cap off the return hose fitting on the pump. Then, I crank the engine over, after disconnecting the coil pack (so it won't start) to purge more fluid out. I then pour about 2 qts worth of cheap fluid in the reservior to flush, while cranking and turning wheels left to right. Then, reconnect the return hose and fill with good fluid. It helps to have the front wheels off the ground while turning... :supercool:

Here is a reply I had given another member when he was having issues with his pump...

There is a screen at the pump as well as a little valve where the line goes in.

Remove the line, then the large nut that the line threaded into. All the fluid will drain out, so have a container on the ground. Once you remove the large nut, use a magnet to pull the valve out if you can't grab it. Clean it up and COAT it with white lithium grease.

Now, before you do this, I would power flush the fluid so once you do clean the valve up, you are starting with nice new fluid. You do this by, removing the low pressure line, plug the nipple from the pump, route the line to a container, start the Track, pour fluid in and the fluid will go through the pump, the rack and into the waste can.

Side note: if the fluid is BLACK, not dark red, but black, then something that is aluminum, (like the rack-and-pinion) is deteriorating. The noise is caused by the aluminum contaminates. Pumps don't like to pump anything other than fluid...

hope this helps...

Under the truck is the P/S Cooler......... I used Long hoses and a bucket and funel.....

I added fluid in the return line and let the old come out into the bucket....

I did use dam near 5 qts... LOL..

ALSO It took close to a week of driving to remove all the air..... the steering felt funny for a couple of days, I had NO noise, but it reacted weird when i hit a bump or made turns....

Todd Z

This is what I saw on you tube .Get front tires off the ground . Remove return line which is the small line ,plug the end where line came off , aim the line down to a catch pan ,use a baster to suck most old fluid out of reservoir and place a funnel in reservoir .Fill reservoir with new fluid .Turn key to on position dont start truck . Turn steering wheel from lock to lock and keep adding new fluid without reservoir going dry .Keep doing this until new fluid comes out then your done . This would be the way to do it but it would be easier with another person just working the steering wheel back and fourth .

This is what I saw on you tube .Get front tires off the ground . Remove return line which is the small line ,plug the end where line came off , aim the line down to a catch pan ,use a baster to suck most old fluid out of reservoir and place a funnel in reservoir .Fill reservoir with new fluid .Turn key to on position dont start truck . Turn steering wheel from lock to lock and keep adding new fluid without reservoir going dry .Keep doing this until new fluid comes out then your done . This would be the way to do it but it would be easier with another person just working the steering wheel back and fourth .

your killing me....LOL..... The other way is pull the fuel pump fuse AND the CRANK DIODE !!! or the engine will crank forever..lol., hook up the hoses, remove the drain line and ( 2 people) one cranks the engine and the other pours the fluid in.... need to be quick, but I do this, takes 2 bottles and done....

I suck the pump out every other day with a turkey baster I keep in the garage for that purpose and top it off with Mobil 1 ATF until the quart bottle is empty. I do this about every two years.

I suck the pump out every other day with a turkey baster I keep in the garage for that purpose and top it off with Mobil 1 ATF until the quart bottle is empty. I do this about every two years.

That's interesting. Why do you do it so often?

He does it for a few days only....

He does it for a few days only....

Ah! I just drain it from the bottom following a similar procedure to what Chrisfix does on YouTube.

But I only do it about once every two years, so I guess roughly once every 30k miles...or so.