Bellsouth and Cingular name going to disappear

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casey B

Reaction score
I have services from both of these companies. Suppose to be bundle savings from bellsouth but we've been seeing no discounts for over a year. Some savings from combined services but not any discounts from cingular or directv. Cingular does give military a 19% discount. AT&T is moving forward and plans to change everything. I may be changing everything. The only reason we have a home phone is because we have DSL. After reviewing the last 12 months bills, we can get by with cell phones and no home phone. That just means I have to get cable for internet which causes more issues because we already have satellite.:wacko:

I like the cell phone plan we have as long as they don't change it. I don't care what name they use. Just thought I would share some morning thoughts. :)

Don't expect much change if any in regard to your Cingular account. There may be a name change (or not, or just in some areas) that has not been decided. You will not see any negative changes in your service or plans. The customer will only benefit from this merger. I say this with the not that I am a Cingular emplyee and can only tell you what they have shared with us, but there were no ill effects from teh AT&T merger so I don't expect any here, from the customers point of view.

I have Bellsouth telephone, DSL and Direct TV bundled (my cell is free) and I receive a $10 discount each month on my DTV bill. I think you have to meet a certain level with your phone bill. We have soem packaget that provides unlimited local and LD. Maybe that is why you are not seeing your discount, call CS and check.

They purposely will not keep you on the lower Advertised price after the year is up. We signed up for the Advertised special from AT&T Yahoo DSL, and what we have found is that You have to re-sign up for the discount abount a month before the discount runs out in a year. ;):blink:

War Eagle- We meet all of the qualifications. When we moved here from overseas I called Bellsouth and set up everything, phone/dsl/directv in order to get savings. My wife put the cell in her name for military discount purposes. I never, and still haven't, seen a discount from directv. After talking with a rep they explained that the cingular account would need to be under the same name as the others to qualify. That being said, I changed the bellsouth and directv account to her name. Now they all match and they said it could take up to 60 days for the changes to take effect. This next billing cycle which happens in 3 days will be 60 days. I'm waiting to see how much we will be saving. Should be $10 for directv and $10 for cingular.

I asked them about recouping the $10/month for 14 months that I did not receive on the directv but the help stuttered. I haven't pushed it because they made a mistake on the rebates when I signed up initially and I got $250 in rebates instead of $150. Maybe that was their way of getting me back.

This is all so confusing. AT&T divested the local services when the Federal Government declared them a monopoly. The local companies were jointly called "The Baby Bells". BellSouth was one of those, along with Mountain Bell and numerous others. Eventually AT&T became a weakened shell of itself, and was bought by SBC Communications (BellSouth renamed). SBC decided to retake the AT&T name for itself. Now another arm of SBC/BellSouth is buying out it's Cingular partner, and renaming itself AT&T. This new AT&T is as inbred as an Arkansas family. :wacko:

Latest posts