Battery draw amount?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard McAlister

Reaction score
Anyone know what the usual amp draw with all systems shut off (lights, engine, ignition, etc) from the battery should be? I suspect my battery is being drained abnormally overnight.

To check, should I pull the positive cable and measure the amps between the battery post and the cable?

thx

NEVER PULL THE POSITIVE cable first......... You will fry the 4x4 module and other electrical.

You can do that with the negative cable.

the ST has a built in timer that shuts off electrical after 20 min or so. I would almost bet if the brake lights or something isn't stuck on, the alternator or battery is shot.

Todd Z

Todd,

Thanks for the warning about the positive cable.

Battery shows 12.7v with engine off, 14.2v at idle (via OBD guage). I replaced the battery 14 months ago with an AutoZone Duralast Gold for preventative maintainence, then again 2 months ago (under warranty) for this reason (after having to jump it a couple of times). I can't imagine two AutoZone batteries in a row being faulty. I garage the truck at night, and have checked for lights being on.

Guess I'll pull the negative cable and see what the amp draw is.:sad:

Any idea what normal should be for it?

I gave up on the AZ gold batteries. They arent' what they used to be. Going on 2 years with the advance gold. Decided to try it at the last failure, when I found a $40 coupon online.

No idea of amp draw.

Batteries are a crap shoot. Had an Advance Auto battery that didn't last 2 years, got full refund. Went to Ford next, lasted 39months, and got prorated battery back. I've used Autozone with success in other vehicles. Initial indications look good for your current battery.

Latest posts