auxiliary battery for 110v inverter for my camper

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edgardo

Reaction score
I need some info and guidance for the following project.

PROJECT:

1. I plan to install an auxiliary battery in the cargo bed of the truck, from which I’d be running a 12v to 110v inverter (1000watts). The idea is to hook up the 110v shore power line of my camper (which draws a max of 750w) to the inverter.

Inverter specs state:

Input power (max at full load) 1200 VA
Input current (max at full load) 93 A

2. The power source to charge the aux battery would be:

A - Solar panels during the day, and

B - the truck’s alternator during a few hrs at night, via a DC-DC charger to be connected to the main starting battery.

3. To hook up the aux battery to the vehicle’s 12v system (2B, above) I’m considering one of three wiring options:

A - the 12v power at the factory installed towing hitch, coming from a 30amp fuse at the front’s Fuse Box.

B - the 12v power at the factory installed outlet in the bed of the truck, coming from a 20AMP fuse at the front’s Fuse Box. (Specs state: max load 20AMP)

C - New wiring running from the main battery to the bed of the truck. (Protected with an 80 amp fuse)

4. INFO NEEDED:

A - How thick should the cables be to handle the inverter load?

B - what would be the best alternative in choosing the source for the connection in #3, above? (Alternatives A, B and C were listed in the order of my preference, based on ease of installation.)

C - With alt.4C, above, at which end should I put the 80 amp fuse?

Not sure but. I think heard one time, to run 2 batteries off of your altenator. You need some sort of electronic balancing switch between the batteries.

Wire gauge from inverter to battery can change based on length. Longer lines need to be thicker. Your inverter should have come with some, or at least state the size/length requirements in the manual.

also make sure your inverter can handle 750w continually. Most inverters are marketed for peak/surge power, which should only last a few seconds.

Latest posts