Aussie Ford Ranger = 2019 U.S. Ford Ranger?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
A close-up look at the Aussie Ford Ranger, which might be the basis for the U.S. Ranger coming in 2019.

Here's a graphic that compares the current F150 with the Aussie Ranger and the last generation U.S. Ranger:

a2c8bd69d72b55792c9fda94b689470f._.jpg

Just curious but how do those numbers compare with the 2017 F-150 and the Chevy Colorado? Your chart is from 2011.

Also keep in mind that the next gen Ranger will not be the same as the current Ranger that is sold almost everywhere else nor will the version we get for 2019 even be the same as the next one sold outside North America. That is according to Raj Nair who is the head of product development at Ford.

The attached video is an interview with Raj Nair from the Detroit show where the Ranger and Bronco were confirmed.

Here's a link to a Reddit discussion about the forthcoming Ranger with someone claiming to work in Ford's Design department.

I've seen the Reddit blog but a lot of other sites are saying he is wrong. He is basically saying we will be getting the same truck that is already being sold elsewhere with a few relatively minor changes. He also said the Bronco will basically be a rebadged Everest. Raj Nair from Ford seemed to be saying that's not true. My guess is that if the guy is employed in the industry he probably works for the competition. I guess we will know in about two years. :grin:

I've seen the Reddit blog but a lot of other sites are saying he is wrong. He is basically saying we will be getting the same truck that is already being sold elsewhere with a few relatively minor changes. He also said the Bronco will basically be a rebadged Everest. Raj Nair from Ford seemed to be saying that's not true. My guess is that if the guy is employed in the industry he probably works for the competition. I guess we will know in about two years

Maybe so, but I won't be surprised if both vehicles do end up hitting the U.S. market based on their Aussie counterparts. From a business perspective, it makes much more sense. It'll cost Ford millions (maybe billions) more to design two new vehicles from scratch just for the U.S. market instead of just bringing in some overseas vehicles with some minor tweaks to be compliant with U.S. law.

Not only that, but Ford's current business strategy is to build global vehicles that only need minor changes to comply with the laws of the country in which they're sold. That's a much more cost-effective way of doing business.

Train, I'm not disagreeing with you entirely. There is little doubt both Vehicles will be based on the current T6 Ranger chassis and I believe Raj Nair has even stated so. However, the vehicles currently built on that chassis have been on the market long enough that they are due for a redesign and that process has supposedly already been going on for a couple of years now in Australia.

What seems most likely is that both new vehicles that will be built and sold here as well as the Ranger and Everest that will be built and sold in other markets will be significantly updated versions of the current vehicles and not those vehicles as they currently exist.

I think it is also pretty safe to assume that the Ranger we get here in North America will have different frontend styling and interiors from the Ranger sold elsewhere and will probably have different safety and emissions equipment as well as different drivetrains to meet US standards. Again Nair pretty much said that at the Detroit show.

All of the changes for this market may be designed in Detroit but as far as I know that has not been confirmed. There have been things said on message forums that this person knows that person who is supposedly working on the New Ranger and Bronco but as far as I know none of that has been confirmed by Ford. There have also been statements that Detroit will have the final say on the US designs which makes perfect sense but that does not mean any of the design work is actually being done here.

Here's a link to an article about Ford starting to move away from the "One Ford" policy from the Alan Mulally era:

I recenly seen were Ford is bringing the Ranger back to the American market, but there were no specifics as to when, and exactlyh which model Ranger would be selling in the USA.

...Rich

I guess the bottom line on this whole thing is that there are going to be a lot of "news" reports about these or any other highly anticipated new vehicles but until we get actual confirmation from the manufacturer it is all speculation. At this point it really comes down to what you choose to believe just like any other issue. One thing we all need to keep in mind is that some "news" is nothing more than a website or news organization trying to stay relevant even if it means creating their own "facts". Unfortunately in this age of instant information there is going to be a lot of stuff to wade through that may or may not have been researched properly and verified or it could even be the reporting entity trying to push their own agenda (where have we seen that before? :grin:). I don't necessarily see that as being a negative thing as long as people recognize it for what it is. It can even be entertaining, especially when it comes to new vehicles. :haveabeer:

The looks don't bother me as much as the potential damage to the roof sheet metal when backing out of the garage. I hope they move it to the front fender on the US version.

Latest posts