anyone know anything about the '99+ Impalas?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a 98 monte carlo, same engine. The 3.8 is a good engine, I got close to 30 mpg on the highway and it had 200+ hp. The 3.4 I'm not sure about, the 3.1 had intake gasket issues. Since the 3.4 is basically a bigger 3.1 I'm iffy on that engine. Every single GM W-Body, like the impala, will have transmission issues around 80k, that is why I got rid of mine. If you are comfortable swapping one yourself a used or rebuilt one is about $1000 or so. I'd have an Impala myself instead of the trac if I could fit in it, with the new design I have issues with how far I need to recline in order to see out the windshield comfortably.

If you do get one and want to buy a full-sized 16" spare, 16" steel wheel, or the police center caps for it drop me a line, I still have parts left over from when I had the MC.

I had a 2000 Impala, bought it in 99 as a 2000. 1st year run of the Impala, since the 93-96 run. Gave me about 18city and 21 hwy with the 3600 V6. I did have lots of problems with the engine moving around in the engine bay. It appears all Impalas with production date 1999 and early 2000 did not have an engine brace, my Impala had to be retro fitted with it by the dealership. Had some other issues with the car that could not be fixed by Chevy, it ended up qualifying as a lemon under the requirements here in Texas and I got rid of it. Don't know if it was just the "bugs" first run cars tend to have but that's was my experiance with a 2000 Impala.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an '02 (now it's the ex's), LS Sport with the 3.8 engine. It typically gets 21-22 mpg around town, and 26-28 mpg on the highway. Nice car.

My 2000 Impala (Off Trac is right, first model year of that returned model) was the WORST NEW CAR I EVER OWNED! Trannsmission slips starting at 25K miles, multi-function switch all but broke within first two years, needed new ball joints after only 40K, had the same engine rock that OT mentioned....just an awful car, but one that I thought was a good ride with a lot of pep when I test drove.

NEVER will I buy the first model year again!

i had a 2000 monte carlo SS before the trac...had it for about 4 months. i only got rid of it b.c i found out it had been in a couple serious accidents and the dealer "forgot" to inform me. i did like the car. it was my first car so i had a blast. i know the SS models had the 3.8 and the LS had the 3.4. they are good motors if they dont give you trouble. for the impala, i must say i do like it even though i wouldnt buy a GM but a buddy of mine has one all decked out and its pretty sweet. just my 2 cents

had a 97 olds mini van with the3.4. good mileag around 25-27 on the highway. However, the intake manifold gasket went south,to the tune of 800 dollars. You have to remove parts of the intake cowling and plastic cosmetic stuff on the engine to get to change the plugs at the recommended 100 k interval. around 300 dollars I think. the engine developed piston slap around 60 k and the fuel injectors started acting up. It gave me pretty good service until around 95 k however it was starting to be expensive to maintain. My dear mother inlaw has an o2 or o3 impala and she lives it. I believe she has a 3.8 in it, and it gets just as good of mileage as my 04 malibu maxx. THe rotors did warp but they were covered under warranty. Another friend of mine has an 03 and they drive the heck out of it . I think they had a 3 our p;er day commute each day, no problems, lots of room for the kids and balls and bats and cats and dogs and whatever. I would think a later model 03 or 04 should be really reasonably priced.

I had a '95 Pontiac Trans Sport with the 3.8 - had almost 200k miles and ran wonderful. Had the transmission replaced once. (Got the car with about 65k on it). Yup.. it was terribly unreliable........

A guy I used to work for had a 90's Pontiac Bonneville with a 3.8L. Sold it at just shy of 300,000 miles and went and got another one.

Such an unreliable vehicle.

Tom

Yeah, yeah, yeah. You can always find the exception. I know someone that still has a Bronco II. I had one of those back in the 80's. Biggest piece of crap Ford ever made. It was in the shop more then it was in my garage. Yet his has over 300k on it and he loves it. (Probably the only one still on the road.)

I know a lot of folks that had Jeep Cherokees. None of them would buy another one, but I'm sure you could find someone, somewhere with nothing but admiration for theirs.

My '56 Chevy still runs fine. Of course it did get an engine and transmission replacement. '67 327 / 4 speed. :D

I don't think all GM cars and trucks suck. My 96 Blazer was very good, but I did have to replace the alternator at 30K miles...a very common problem I am told; and had to replace head gaskets in a GMC S15 after only 55K miles; and then there was the 2000 Impala and all it's problems. Frankly I don't WANT, NOR DO I EXPECT any vehicle should have to have ANYTHING OTHER than normal maintenance until AT LEAST 60K to 70K miles. And, it seems the imports have had a better track record of delivering on those expectations than the domestics...or so goes my experience.

LOL. I stand corrected. I once had a 67 Impala SS.( How I kept from killing myself with that vehicle I'll never know). Damn, I wish I still had it.