Anyone install new leather covers

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JK II

Reaction score
I'm going to be ordering new Katzkin leather replacements on Monday. I rather save a couple hundred bucks on the DIY install. Has anyone changed out the leather to new one themselves? If so how hard is it?

Should be a "peice of cake". The seat covers in the ST shoul dbe fairly simply held in...some 'J'-clips around the seat cushion holding it to the seat frame, and some holding the back together at the very bottom of the back support...possibly some hook-and-loop style fasteners along the seat cushion and back where the cover is the 'deepest'. Shouldn't really take more then 1.5-2 hours to reaplce both front seat covers. Really the only tools you'll need are whatever you need to take the seats out of the truck, and a phillips and flathead screwdriver to remove the various beauty covers and components from the seat to give easier access to the 'J'-clips.

Well it has an option to buy the install kit to do it yourseld for a $100.. So its really not worth to spend the extra 100 then?

Install Kit ? All you should need is a couple of wrenches a screw driver. It is not that hard, just take your time and get your seams lined up right with the foam. I have recently done my front seats, But I may have to take the back covers i got to a shop to have the Carpet on the back of the seat sewn to the new covers. Have fun email me if needed

$100 for an install kit? Hope that includes a good tube of lube. I don't really see what would be in the install kit to make the install any easier. With older seat covers where you had hog rings and metal bars for shaping, yeah, I could see paying more for the "kit", new rings, hog ring pliers, and the like. Bring that ST on up to my house, we'll get those SOB's installed. Have you seen my seat covers? Those aren't a kit, those were stiched up by my mother and installed by me, I'm sure we can handle some pre-fabbed kit, lol.

bpoche the Katzkin seats I'm getting are $900.. Some range from $679 and up depending on what you get.

Trav. your mom stiched those? I'm impressed!

Yup...I took the covers off an removed the panels, recovered them, and she sewed the panels back onto the seat covers, then I reinstalled them. I've still got to take the back off the passenger seat and get the holes for the headrest stiched up, but.....eh....The custom bug runs deep in my house, lol.

Latest posts