Any Tips?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Maguire

Reaction score
Hey everyone i recently signed up for the Air Force and am waiting for my MEPS. I have signed up for my main job to be an Aerial Gunner however, the Air Force only accepts about 400 applicants a year and truthfully it is the only job i want to do, but the odds of me getting into that field is slim so i need a back up job. Any suggestions as to what job to choose? I'm looking for vets to share their opinion and their previous job in the military. Anything would be awesome to hear. I am more of a weaponry kind of guy rather a computer guy im not to good with computer tech and stuff so anything with a gun really would be more my style. Thanks guys hope to hear from you soon!

Interesting question. I will be waiting with you to see the answer. In this day and age I am not sure the Air Force has any aircraft weapons that aren't computer aided. Less it's a 50 cal on a Helo or a .45 on a pilots hip. I'm not sure strict weaponry skills without computer knowledge is a growing field.

Thanks for you intended service and good luck, I am sure the Air Force has some of the best training and heavy weapons with a little technology thrown in would be interesting. .:supercool:

Kyle,

Congratulations! I was in the Army for 20 years (1963-1983) and although I did not like everything about the military, it was a great experience.

First of all, realize that being a gunner of any kind in any service does not mean you will be shooting all day long. Ammo is expensive. So unless you are in a wartime situation, you may only fire live rounds perhaps one or twice a year. The rest of the time is training in proper procedures, tactics and safety. Also, most gun systems are now heavily automated or computerized so you may not totally get away from computers.

You will be given a lot of aptitude tests by the Air Force to determine what job would fit you best. When I went into the military, I wanted to be in automotive mechanics. I had very high scores in mechanics and electronics and my lowest score was in Clerical work. However, my Clerical score was much better than most others, and I already knew how to type, so they put me into clerical.

Whether you make a career of the Air Force or you only stay in the Air Force for one enlistment term, I always recommend that people go into a career field that has job opportunities when you go back to civilian life. That has the advantage that when you do return to civilian life, you will have marketable skills and the experience employers want.

...Rich

"Whether you make a career of the Air Force or you only stay in the Air Force for one enlistment term, I always recommend that people go into a career field that has job opportunities when you go back to civilian life. That has the advantage that when you do return to civilian life, you will have marketable skills and the experience employers want."

i second that. i am a first term airman pushing the 3 year mark originally i wanted to be a jets troop (working aircraft engines) instead i got crew chief which is the man in charge of forms and minor maintenance he is the final line before the pilot/ aircrew take the jet. essentially the jack of all trades and master of none. i love my job. and plan to make a career out of it.if you got questions email me at [email protected] ill try to help out or ask around for you.

Latest posts