Any Ipod know it alls in here???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Palmer

Reaction score
My daughter has a Ipod Nano. She is having some conectability issues. For many months she has used the downstairs PC to work here Nano.

Recently, we got her a used laptop. She wanted to use the laptop as her main computer. Sooo, she plugged the ipod into the laptop. The laptop had 6 songs from the previous user on it. Once she plugged in the ipod the 6 songs transfered into the ipod and erased ALL of her existing music that was on the ipod.

No big deal as all she had to do was come back downstairs and plug into the PC to rebuild her library from the Itunes site, (Music she has bought).

Well, plugging into the PC does nothing. It does detect her Nano but will NOT allow her to transfer any music from her Itunes account.

How do we solve this????

This may help. Her iPod is probably linked to the laptop now. Apple does this to keep people from sharing music purchased from iTunes.

By the way, I use a program called Podplayer to listen to my iPod while at work. That way you don't have to mess around with iTunes.

Coastie,

USB just doesn't work very well all the time with iTunes. It's a crap shoot.

You can try plugging/unplugging the USB, and it may trigger a recognition. I use the same PC all the time and have had problems. I have never used mine on another PC.

The common accepted fix is firewire. After I started using a docking base with firewire cable, I haven't had any more recognition problems.

Yeah, I use XPlay2 rather than iTunes. It lets me transfer files back & forth from my iPod (as I use my iPod as both music player and backup storage device for my music).

I have search MANY forums. The firewire issue seems to be addressed often. Soo, being a cheap attempt to fix this it is the first thing we will try.

Thanks for the info.

Actually, the Nano doesn't support firewire, so don't bother trying that solution.

Instead, I'd take a look at the config for windows. Plug in the iPod and then look at the device manager to make sure that Windows is recognizing the USB device correctly. If it shows up with a big "X", then delete the entry and let windows re-add it in.

You might want to double check with your daughter to make sure she actually ejects the device before removing it. That step alone can make all the difference.

With the ipod already plugged into the computer, open Itunes and click on the Edit tab. Go down to and click on preferences. select the Ipod tab. There shoould be a spot that allows you to select manually update Ipod. Select it. It is probably on automatic mode right now, which makes it sinc with the computer, kind of like the way a palm pilot works. Just be sure the "eject" the Ipod before you unplug it. That should take care of the new laptop problem. Not sure about the old computer not recognizing the ipod though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tod C, you win the prize...

Your link showed her how to Manually control her Nano.

She is up and running.

Thanks guys, she appreciates it.

Latest posts