Any ever remove their A/C Compressor? Do they make a A/C delete belt?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Gerner 2

Reaction score
Ok, after having to replace the spark plugs/ wires a couple times and just other things I've worked on the motor I'm ready to take off the A/C Compressor completely.

Got a couple questions...

1. Can this be done without screwing up the heating/ cooling system (computer, etc.)

2. Do they make a belt for a A/C delete 4.0L

3. What all would need to be done to make this possible

2003 ST 4.0L Job2 just for info.

I figure if I this is possible then I'll shave off alot of weight from the frontend and have less drag on the motor. I don't use the A/C so it's just added weight and drag on the motor.

As much info with or without pictures, links to other threads, projects, sites would be awesome.

Thanks guys.

First up, with a body lift, doesn't changing the plugs and wires become easier? It did for me.

I don't have a real answer. But I would guess that some of the older style rangers, per say: 95-98, had an option for a/c. So those with the 4.0 and not a/c could be the answer for the belt. On my 1995 Ranger, I had to completely remove the a/c and heater box just to tuck my 18s. It didn't throw any CEL. My Ranger did not have the 4.0, but it did have a/c. So I just ended up getting the smaller belt, when I removed the unit. I don't have any good pictures of under hood. Just have one of where I re-mounted the battery, where the heater box was.

i had a proplem with the ac pump it had seized and would not turn because the vehicle was my daily i pull the ac long belt (what was left of it ) i followed the route with a stringby passing the ac pump had a friend to hold the idler center (to simulate a new tight belt ) when i got to the start point i taped the together went to local parts shop and got a belt during the 2monthes i ran this i had no problem with heat or air that i remember

now that hind sight is 20/20 = i should have wrote the belt number down

Jerry, no disrespect but, why eliminate the A/C? You're in PA right? It still gets hot up there! I don't think its a huge drain ion the motor's performance. Why not be comfortable? Bob

I have a body lift on mine but the A/C Compressor is still in the way, mainlt the 90degree fitting on the backside of the compressor.

Thanks, I only want to remove the compressor and the lines since they aren't being used and in the way. I still wan th have heat so the heater box has to stay since it's my daily driver.

I have removed many compressor's from older vehicles (pre-'85) and ran them with jsut a shorter belt. I'm just not sure how the setup is intertwined with the computer and heating/ fresh air controls, system.

Bob, I have never used the A/C and would rather just have the windows down. You are right about it getting hot and humid here but I just have no need for it.

I can see why you would want it gone.

I hardly use the AC and I'm in south Georgia. I do leave it running most of the time during the summer just to have that cool feeling on my feet but I almost always have the windows down or at least the sunroof and back window. The only time I really use it is when my wife is with me and she doesn't want her hair blowing. That's rare though because we normally just take the Tahoe.

Oh, but after all of that pointless information, I don't have anything useful for you. :smack:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerry,

Rod pretty much nailed it. There is no bypass for the 4.0 I am aware of & your local parts store can find you a shorter belt if you give them a string or even inches you need. Ive done it many times as a quick fix to a locked up compressor. Theres nothing to worry about with the Computer, but keep In mind your defrosters will not work properly since the compressor runs while the defrosters are on. It will still defrost the windows, but wont be as effective removing fog On the windows.

Good luck either way

Jimmy, that's partly why I wasn't sure if it would affect anything with the rest of the heating & A/C system. I know the compressor runs on certain things like while defrost is on.

Hugh, you crack me up. When are you visiting family up here again? Gotta meet up.

:haveabeer:

Probably not this summer, but possibly in the fall. Definitely not the winter. The family understands.

Theres nothing to worry about with the Computer, but keep In mind your defrosters will not work properly since the compressor runs while the defrosters are on. It will still defrost the windows, but wont be as effective removing fog On the windows. What Jimmy said

Jerry,

My a/c compressor stop working so pull out a wire and pull all the fuse to the a/c compressor. My defrosters still work good and it does remove the fog still. :supercool:

James, thanks. I want to totally remove the compressor and the lines going to the heater box. I need to know if this is possible on the ST like other vehicles and what belt I need to get.

I keep old belts around for just this.... I cut them and keep them..... You can also go to the parts store ask them for an old one, Route it and cut it exactly as if it was on the truck, May need some one to hold the tensioner tight......

A string works great too, Tape it to a pulley, wrap it around, move the tensioner to the normal position and mark it..... Take it off and measure.....

I know this has been done on explorers and some Tracs........

I WISH i had the time this weekend, I would do it on my truck for you, But It sucks not having a second to breathe any more...

Todd Z

The AC Compressor runs in the winter too, Helps to remove moisture from the vehicle. Fogged up windows, etc.. While you can still do this without the AC, it works much faster with it. And if you are in bad weather, that extra time or ability may be the difference. Just throwing that out there..

Ok so after further research I found a bypass pulley for sale to enable the use of the factory length belt... linked here but I've found them for cheaper...

These are the Ranger A/C belt #'s

Xplorer82 on the Ex forum found this on his conversion...

Hit autozone today and went thru 6 belts trying to find the best belt for A/C delete (since its cheaper for the belt then the bypass pulley).. if anyone has a SOHC and needs a shorter belt, the belt(s) you will need/want are::

705K6

or

710K6

those are duralast part #'s. not sure what is needed for another brand.

:banana::banana:

Thanks for the reply. I just removed the compressor, condenser and lines off today. I capped of the fitting until I get around to swapping out the heater box to a A/C delete Ranger box.

Latest posts