Another Dont Use Jiffe Lube Post.........

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's good Todd. Customer service is job1. But how did commission pan out for your mechanics with your method of upselling? Just curious.

The FUNNY thing was the people we messed with were the ones that wanted to buck the system and pay cash "off the books" for work.....

I'm confused--are you saying that people wanted to pay you in cash for your work, and they wanted it to be off the books? How does that work, they were going to pay each mechanic individually?

I don't understand why anyone would want to have their payment to you be off the books, what would they get out of it?

(Though I feel that I'm just totally misunderstanding what you said)

Also, you're saying that you did not use the commission system for your employees?

That ticket idea sounds retarded, though after hearing about that, I can see how "services" like the mythical "fuel injector cleaning" came to be. :rolleyes:

Those got re used filters and all other stuff... LOL

DIY or your car just might DIE. :wacko:

The "cash" deals were the guy that wanted an oil change for $20.00 cash....

OR the guy that wanted his 4wd service but did not want to pay $60.00 each gear box..

We would do the service ( NOT put the car in the system) do what we needed to do and get it out...

The techs in the shop did the work, I let them because the "ticket" they ran for me was way above and I let them pocket the "gravy" money..

We simply played with the inventory to make it balance every month.....that was easy.... i the car took 4 qts oil we just put 6 on the receipt... The owner paid the same but it took more out of invitory...

Too simple...

Trac,

We sold more then the pressure sale shops that the techs new this and just being honest made us sell more....

We even took out the customers owners manual from their car ands showed them the recommended service mileage...

That was enough for the customer to see we were just not selling them junk and then we performed the work...

Todd Z

Todd,

I guess these sort of abuses (selling used parts as new, taking money under the table, employees pocketing untaxed monies, inventory that is falsified...) go on all over the place.

Though I must say that I'm a little shocked to see you describe it.

TJR

TJR, Todd had to make a living, he had to eat:lol:alot.

That being said, we found out this last week that Tiger woods is not perfect.

Am as you also shocked that nor is todd:p

At least todd came clean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill, I didn't say I was shocked by Todd's past actions, nor that I thought he was perfect. I'm just a little shocked when people describe illegal behavior in public fora, that's all. Especially when making light of it.

I give Todd cred for coming clean. They say confession is good for the soul. ;)

TJR

LOL.......

Nope not perfect, BUT it was never done under my watch to the "paying" customer.....

As for the illegal, it is soo far gone now and the managers above me are gone, the issue is a mute point.

No cleansing, I am not guilty for any thing i have ever done or will do,......

I never screwed or played games with the paying customer, it was the ones that wanted the under dealings, that got what they deserved as far as i am concerned, played games with.

Todd Z

Todd has a huge following from the ladys of MYST:lol: will update as more info comes in.

Todd, do you have a prenup?:wub:

Bill.....

IF you only knew.... LOL :p

I guess these sort of abuses (selling used parts as new, taking money under the table, employees pocketing untaxed monies, inventory that is falsified...) go on all over the place.

Welcome to life. This goes on every day and it goes both ways. Theresa rear ended a truck a couple weeks ago. Took it to a body show and for 1/3 off I pay cash and nobody says a word.

The worse the economy gets, the more this will happen.

Tom

Caymen,

I suspect you made that 1/3 off deal with the owner/operator of the shop?

If so, that's a little different than making a similar deal with an employee of the shop, then the employee pocketing all the money, doing the work on the owner's time (and as paid by the owner), using inventoried supplies from the owner's inventory and then "mickeying" with the inventory to make it all come out...oh, and at times, using used parts as new in the process.

The big difference between the two scenarios (assuming that's what we are talking about) is that it in your scenario the owner is cheating the government, only. We all seem to be more inclined to look the other way when the government is the one getting screwed (probably because we feel screwed by them so much). Barter is a good example. Doesn't make it right that we look the other way, but it seems to be more acceptable to most folks.

But when employees also "put it" to the owners that they work for; opening them up to the liability of tax evasion, and essentially stealing parts, paid hours and business from said owner, that seems to me to be a little different than what I think you are describing.

TJR

I suspect you made that 1/3 off deal with the owner/operator of the shop?

You suspect wrong.

I was not the one that offered cash either.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Caymen,

So, essentially, this guy is doing the work not only "off the books", but without the owners knowledge?

If so, will he also be using the owner's facilities? The owner's supplies? Will be be using time the owner would be paying him for?

If the answer to any of the above are YES, then you not only are colluding in tax evasion, but also, potentially petty larceny, if not grand larceny (greater than $500 in Ohio).

Good luck with that.

TJR

So, essentially, this guy is doing the work not only "off the books", but without the owners knowledge?

I don't know that.

If so, will he also be using the owner's facilities? The owner's supplies? Will be be using time the owner would be paying him for?

Don't really care.

If the answer to any of the above are YES, then you not only are colluding in tax evasion, but also, potentially petty larceny, if not grand larceny (greater than $500 in Ohio).

Again, I don't care.

Why? Because I do not want to do business with that company.

Tom

We all seem to be more inclined to look the other way when the government is the one getting screwed (probably because we feel screwed by them so much).

This cya statement seems to side towards you Not believing that we're screwed by the government.

So when your state has you paying sales tax, the impetus for which expired decades ago, and your federal government is there also screwing you with income tax that was "temporary", and then the federal government which places tax laws which allow exemptions, followed by a law that states that if you claim all of your potential legal tax exemptions, you can be assessed a massive fine for doing so, a "fine" known as the Alternative Minimum Tax.

Fundamentally, the American Dream was to be a self-made man and become independently wealthy...the Federal Government punishes the wealth with tax. It screws you out of the Dream of the Nation.

I'm sure you know this all too well, yet you're passive about the issue, if not agreeing with it :wacko: :(

(Also, how is barter illegal--which it would be if it "screwed the government")

If so, that's a little different than making a similar deal with an employee of the shop, then the employee pocketing all the money, doing the work on the owner's time (and as paid by the owner), using inventoried supplies from the owner's inventory and then "mickeying" with the inventory to make it all come out...oh, and at times, using used parts as new in the process.

Caymen has a point. I wouldn't deal with an unscrupulous company either as I wouldn't trust them to do the work with quality for a fraction of the "normal cost". I don't care about the employees screwing over the owners--that's low in my opinion, but that's between the owner and his employees, for who am I to have oversight on their business?

Even if I were to agree to such a shady deal, the owner getting screwed isn't on me as I am not directly responsible. If the impetus were culpable for a crime he did not directly commit, which he is not, then ludicrous events such as bullet manufacturers being liable for murders would occur.

Latest posts