Another Dont Use Jiffe Lube Post.........

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjamin Feinstein

Reaction score
I posted a few days ago with a post titled "High Idle" and due to the weather I decided to take the trac to the dealership to have it checked out. I took a copy of the reply the Todd posted and asked for all the areas to be checked. They took the truck right into the shop and told me to wait as it would only take a short amount of time to check everything. Well long story short it seems that the last time I got the oil changed at Jiffy Lube they failed to put an air cleaner back in the airbox. I had the intake system cleaned and the oil changed and the trac is running properly again. I just hope that the 1500 miles I put on the truck without an aircleaner did not do more damage to the trac.

I am planning on going to Jiffy Lube with both receipts to see if I can get them to pay for the service to my trac.

All I can say is good luck. :unsure: I have had several friends of mine including two whose transmissions failed after transmission service have issues with Jiffy Lube. Somehow they always mange to get out of having to pay anything. I have even seen them sued and yet their lawyers get them off the hook every time. Its very pathetic.

I used Jiffy Lube once...just after I moved to Virginia. Since I didn't know the area, I figured what the hell.

I sat there watching from afar. What a bunch of bafoons!

They gave me a Christmas list of non existing issues & suggestions. ( I knew the truck well).

It took 1/2 hour & 5 techs and all I wanted was a quick oil & filter change which normally in NJ took 10 minutes.

I think it's sad that a customer has to inspect their work. I agree with Ben, keep away from Joke Lube!

I had them flush my coolant in my Mustang, left antifreeze all over the engine and front fenders. I went in to complian and the guy said sorry and tried to hand me a greasy rag to wipe everything off. poor business practices, but people still use them.

I had a oil change at Jiffy Lube in Minneapolis some time ago. Before I got back to Canada my car would not move. All the brakes were locked. I had it towed into a shop in Grand Forks where I was told that "someone" had put engine oil into the master brake cylinder. This caused the total destruction of my braking system. Cost me $1400 CDN. I did the usual letter writing campaign and got told by Jiffy Lube and I quote "Can you prove our technician did this and not you" I couldn't. Nice place (sarcasm)

Gerry Mac

Years ago they let me drive out of there dragging their open pit safety net & hook all the way home, no I didn't carry it back!

2nd hand story, but a friend's wife took their SUV in and they never replaced the oil pan plug. She didn't think to pull over when the oil light lit....engine siezed. This was a leased vehicle and all JL would give them was the cost of a used engine. They were out many thousands of dollars.

Many years ago my wife and mother inlaw went to jiffy lube in Tacoma Wa. (72nd & Pacific) to get an oil change on my father in laws car.

The lube guy was unable to get the filter off. He did manage to damage the filter enough to create a leak.

jiffy lube the advised them to go to the dealer to have the car serviced. They were advised to drive as fast as they could so the car didn't run out of oil before they got to the dealership.

This car was around a year old. It used and burned oil after that. We could not prove that jiffy lube caused the problem, but we knew they had. :angry:

As I have gotten older one thing has become abundantly clear in dealing with service providers:

If I can do something myself then I SHOULD, especially IF...

a) it is something I enjoy doing...

b) it is something that I can do as good if not better than the provider...

c) it something I can do for less total cost (including my time, and what I could 'make' if not doing that thing) than what the provider charges.

It is sad to say, but outfits like Jiffy Lube should be able to do the work they do at less cost, and with higher quality than the "do it yourselfer"; but the reality is they can't typically do either.

I'm willing to pay someone (well) for something I can't do; don't want to do; or can't do as well as they can. Again, the sad part is that I'm finding fewer and fewer providers that meet those basic requirements.

Jiffy Lube simply sucks. More and more outfits provider service seems to suck these days. I'm doing more and more for myself, and not just to save money.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Jiffy Lube simply sucks. More and more outfits provider service seems to suck these days.

So true. With the US moving towards its "service economy", it's a bad sign when our services blow.

I took my ST to Jiffy Lube a total of ONE time, and that was enough. They tried to tell me that they needed to clean my fuel injectors, as they were dirty. How could they tell? They didn't know, but if my service records had been @ JL, they would have known, and they implied that if they hadn't done it, it hadn't been done as "most people never check these.".

Ok, soes I ask them what "cleaning the fuel injectors" entails, besides a wad of my cash, and they couldn't tell me. I passed.

That, and they replaced my air filter (against my wishes) and tried to charge me for it. A stop was put to that.

Personally, it pisses me off that they rip out your air filter and parade into the waiting room to show you it, and how "dirty" it is. Same with the windshield wipers. If I don't ask for it, don't do it.

Also, the waiting room seats at the ones I've been to are placed so that you can't see the garage area unless you stand around the corner by the window, and you can only see the first bay from the waiting room, which makes me uneasy to begin with.

3 years ago the wife and I were heading out of town (driving 1000 miles R/T) for a holiday get together with family. I had to work every day right up to the departure day, and we were overdue for an oil change, so I asked her to take the car to the local Valvoline place. Had not been there and THOUGHT they were a step above Jiffy Lube.

Knowing these places, and the fact that my wife wont put up with any B/S either, she took the car up there knowing they would try to up-sell her some. Well, sure enough they did. Tried to sell her an air filter, fuel filter, injector cleaning, radiator flush, transmission fluid/filter change, etc... Since she is a woman, they pushed her pretty hard. (From her description, it was harder than either of us was expecting) She finally told them "NO" in a quite loud voice where other customers could hear her, and said she ONLY WANTED THE OIL CHANGE. They got her dont in a hurry and out with only an oil change.

Well, 3 months later I go to change the oil myself and guess what I found? On the generic white oil filter, I saw written in black ink. "FU** YOU BIT**" I chaged the oil, and we went back to the Valvoline place with the old filter. The Manager didnt seem shocked. He told me that he was Sorry, and that I wasnt the first one to complain. The guy under the car had done it to several customers cars, and had been fired. He offered me 2 free oil changes for my trouble.

While the manager did try to make it right, he was there when the employees tried to hard sell my wife and he did nothing about it. (Wife said he was one of the ones telling her she needed to get it done) I have warned everyone I know abut this ripoff.

On the generic white oil filter, I saw written in black ink. "FU** YOU BIT**"

Wow. No chain place will ever touch my oil again. That's not something I'd let go.

Since she is a woman, they pushed her pretty hard.

The ladies have got to do something about this sadly true stereotype. Now there is a growing collection of dudes too who don't know anything about basic vehicle maintenance, I'm sure that anyone going to a chain auto place is considered an easy mark :(

I'm sure that anyone going to a chain auto place is considered an easy mark

I actually had a service advisor River City Ford here in Winnipeg tell my wife that it would invalidate our warranty if she didn't get her tires rotated that very day. At that time the ST had under 3000 Km on it and was coming for its first oil change.

Needless to say, I ahd some words for the Service Manager and the Dealer Principal.

My wife will only go to people she knows personally. And they usually know that I'll check it out later and be talking to them if they tell her something that isn't true. After 13 years of marriage, we're basically down to one body shop left that she will go to, and no mechanics. The good one's either are retiring, going into something else, or doing it cheaper just to stay up with their competition.

It's not only the Jiffy Lubes that are problems. Some of the independent garages are just as bad or worse. I had my mom take her Sable in to a local place that we had used and were pleased with his work. She just needed some basic service plus a transmission flush. The owner took on a new guy to help him out and he told me that she needed to replace the front pads and rotors within the next 3,000 miles. Since I'm able to do this I later took the wheels off to do a break job and found that there was plenty of life left (more like 5,000 to 10,000 miles) and the rotors miked out okay. I told the owner about it and he wasn't too happy. Still haven't gone back to him.

I am not sticking up for JL or any fast lube, Just letting you know how they work from the inside...

Having worked in fast lubes and managed 3 of them here on LI, There are several reasons for the employees attitudes.

ALL of it stems from UPPER management. The managers I delt with were all heartless jerks. They only cared about "upsales" and bottom line $$$$$$$$

The fast lube places make no money on oil changes alone, they need the up sales to stay in business.

ALSO the employees made commissions on EVERY up sale item... THATS the biggest issue.

They are also FORCED to run a Ticket.... That ticket is normally a set dollar value over the normal oil change. So if the OC is 27.99 a daily ticket needs to be $35.99.......

ALSO ALL coupons CUT down the ticket. So that is why they give you an attitude or try to up sale MORE when you have a coupon......

IF they wanted to keep their jobs and make their bonus money they do any thing to screw the customer...

ADD the fact they can barely FOG a mirror when you breath on it....... LOL :lol:

But I ran my shops differently.......+

1) I did what was paid for no mater how hard

2) I never up sold any thing that was not needed

3) I explained the mileage service to the customer and sold that way

4) I CRUSHED the other 2 LI stores in competitions every time with my sales

My customers were loyal and came back just because we did not screw them.......

The FUNNY thing was the people we messed with were the ones that wanted to buck the system and pay cash "off the books" for work.....

Those got re used filters and all other stuff... LOL

We needed to eat too....

Todd Z

Todd Z said:
The FUNNY thing was the people we messed with were the ones that wanted to buck the system and pay cash "off the books" for work.....

Those got re used filters and all other stuff... LOL

Funny, Todd.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts