Alternator replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil V

Reaction score
Well, after 14 years and 323000 kms I had to finally replace the alternator. I have an ultragauge that I use all the time. I noticed with headlights and heat on the battery voltage would frequently drop to 12v. It should be running at 14v especially with such a light load on the alternator. In the last two weeks I replaced the battery under warranty after 2 years because it was drained. So I already knew this was coming

I checked out napa first. They wanted $320 CAD after tax for a remanufactured and $560 for a new one. I wanted a new one because I read they don't always replace the rectifier on remans

So naturally I checked out rockauto. They had quite a few options. For whatever reason the NEW acdelco alt came out to $220 shipped so I went with that.

Install went easy and after a couple days of driving it stays 14v at idle with electrical load. Couldn't be happier with my purchase

Rock Auto seems to be a really good place to get parts for our trucks. Only 2 days ago I was tell one of my friends that. I already have a list of things I want to order from them. The prices up there are really really reasonable. I am impressed. It makes keeping our trucks fully worth it. And the shipping to Areo Postal here in Barbados in the Caribbean is not expensive. It's so worth it. I can't wait to get started.

Thanks Eddie I thought so. Figured I'd see what you guys thought. So far with the 55w xenon headlights, 35w fogs, full heat and sound system going it idles at 14v again. That's all I could have hoped for.

Rockauto is a great place. Sometimes I get dinged with customs charges but it's usually still worth it. The alternator didn't have any extra charges so that was nice. They also do have a very comprehensive list of parts for our trucks

A couple years ago I got an alternator from advance Auto parts installed it the next day I was warming up the truck before giving my son a ride to school and he was like a Dad what's that smoke coming from the hood ran out grab the hose pop the hood the alternator was on fire. Thank God my son saw that before I cooked the entire truck!
Anyway brought the alternator back to advanced and they gave me another one.

When you install an alternator, you MUST check and clean the connections, and the battery MUST be fully charged.... Too many time people expect the alternator when new to charge the dead or low battery ( jump the truck too) and it smokes, damages or shortens the life of it....an alternator is a battery maintainer not a charger and its only supposed to put out high amps for a short time...

Agreed great advise.
I'm my case I had the battery at 14v on my slow charge.
It was a bad remanufactured unit.

Sometimes when we go cheep we get junk... lesson learned.

Yeah I had a little 3-inch flame coming off the alternator when I open the hood.

Last edited:
Some cheep ones do work if your selling the car the next day...LOL

Latest posts