Almost ready to lift...Little help needed

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J C

Reaction score
I have decided to go with the lift spindles + Add-a-leaf + Shackle/TT. Need a little help with tire/wheel selection. As of now i am set on the american racing mojave teflon wheels (16x8) wrapped with BFgoodrich A/T KO (33x12.5x16)..is this combo feasible? Thanks

What size tires on the 16's exactly? I mean, the BFG AT's (I'm not 100% positive) don't come in a 33x12.50 per se.... so do you mean 245's, 265's, 285's or ????

First off; how much height will you gain with the spindles? Are you doing the Add-a leaf AND the shackles in the rear??? I am not sure you would be happy with the ride depending on what you are looking for. The shackles alone will give you enough clearance to clear 32's (265 75 16's) or maybe 33's (285 75 16's) depending on wheel fitment of the 16x8's and/or slight trimming.

The 285 75 16's on a 16x8 that is properly fitted (ie a pro (shop) to help with the correct offset/backspacing) might be a real good combo for you. Caution though watch your brakes and mileage offset/mpg loss when going with tires significantly larger than your OEM ones. Your brakes won't last as long and remember the tires alone are probably 25 lbs heavier at each corner to work against your braking. Good luck with your choices... you should be happy.:)

those combo should be fine. i had 285 75 16 with tt/shackle and body lift. recently, i just installed 3" spindles and 2" add-a-leaf. now 285 75 16 looks way too small now but if you plan not to do any more lifting than those combo should be ok.

mcbrainz, what kind of spindles did you decided on? make sure you change front rotors size to 11.25"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies. I got the tire size choices off of the Discount Tire web site, so hopefully that size is available. I am going with the fabtech spindles. I am also aware of the rotor change, what exact model of 01 explorer do the rotors come from? Thanks again for everyones input for this post and all my previous posts too.

Latest posts