Air silencer removed

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Martin 2

Reaction score
Just did the air intake silencer removal....what a PAIN IN THE BUTT!!!:smile0003: First I couldn't get the air box to budge so I decided ok I'll go the other route by taking the plastic piece out...broke the plastic clip...scraped my knuckles :smile0010: Finally got the silencer out after about an hour and 3 beers lol. Oh and I killed the silencer so there is no way it is ever going back in the truck :smile0006:

Yeah Craig, tried doing it the same way. Then the hammer and vise grips came out.

Won't see the remnants of this stuff on the Swap & Sell Board, either. Scrap plastic.

Not really but I have noticed more dirt and water in the air box since removing. In the winter I run the stock box with a K&N filter and a CAI with a K&N cone filter on it in the warmer months. Gonna make a heatshield for the CAI this spring.

Just wondering. When I had my Crown Vic P71's I had read on a performance site a test comparing stock air filters in stock air boxes to the silencer removed box with a K&N drop in filter. I don't remember the flow results but the bottom line was that the stock configuration flowed more air than the engine could draw, even with some engine mods.

Yes, I did remove the silencer on the P71's but kept the Motorcraft filters. It did "sound" more powerful. That's kind of like us "seasoned" guys that used to flip the air cleaner cover over on our carburetor equipped rides.:supercool:

I did this mod back in the day. I don't really remember it being a PITA though.

Now I just rock the Zabteck full underhood kit. :supercool:

My first mod. Removing the air box. I used a large chisel under the box for pry bar. Poped right out.

Jerry I also made a heat shield for the K&N conical from my stang(switched to mac in fender). Used a plastic paint roller pan to block fan wash out. cut a hole in the inner fender. used a plastic bucket around the filter. Sloted the bucket towards the headlight and cut the bottom out. Seal the the bottom with foam rubber @ fender. Cut my intake temps @ constant idle in the summer, 40 degrees. Example, summer intake idle temps were 160 now 120. While driving intake temps are ambient. See my library. Cost $3..

Great idea Eddie. Have been one click away from buying a second hand Zabteck CAI.

Cringe at the thought of cutting a large hole in the fender. You should apply for a patent. LOL:banana:

P.S.- How large a hole did you cut? Not 3 3/4", I presume.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve I dont remember the hole size. It is the size of the bucket bottom. But the foam sealed it to the bucket. I used my pnuematic body saw. More of a square hole.

Thanks Ed. Seagate FreeAgent HD coming along. Will touch base with you when it's ready.

It seems like this silencer is more for pulling colder air in from behind the headlight. I just removed mine and it is louder, but i'm wondering if its drawing warmer under hood air in now.

Latest posts