1. Welcome to the new home for MySportTrac.com!

Please click here to find all the info about the move to the new site!

To access your account you will need to reset your password here

Adrenalin 4x4 conversion

Thread in 'General Information' started by Mike S 3, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Mike S 3

Mike S 3 Active Member 2nd Gen Owner V8 Engine

I'm sure most of you are also on explorerforum, but I wanted to post here JIC some might miss it.... https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-convert-your-awd-adrenalin-to-true-4x4.478699/

After lots of research I figured out how to convert an AWD Sport Trac Adrenalin to true 4x4.

You'll need a windows laptop, Forscan with license, an OBDII adapter that connects to your laptop, and the 4x4 button module (7L2Z-14B166-AA)

Update the Instrument Panel configuration
    Using Forscan, access the Instrument Cluster (IC) module and updated the 720-01-01 block. Here's what I changed:

From 9105 6AF3
    To 9105 6BF1

This setting is the closest I could find to as-built data of a v8 4x4 with the message center in the cluster. This as-built setting enables the reverse sensors in the settings menu but since I don't have them installed, the reverse sensor selection is not accessible. Not a big deal to me, and I may even track down the harness and modules to install the reverse sensors soon...

If anyone can come up with the correct as-built setting for 720-01-01 for a v8 4x4 with the message center and no backup sensors that would be even better!

Update the 4x4 module wiring
    After studying the factory wiring documentation, I noticed that Adrenalin's don't have a fuse or wiring in the F23 slot under the hood. I traced this back and discovered that two wires need to be spliced together on the black connector that plugs into the 4x4 module.

Jumper together the Yellow/Red stripe wire and the White/Red stripe wire in the black plug to the 4x4 module. This gives 12v constant power to the White/Red stripe wire which is not connected from the factory.

Install the 4x4 buttons
    Swap out the blank buttons for the 4x4 buttons (7L2Z-14B166-AA). All the wiring is there behind the center console trim.

That's all there is to it! After this change you can now use the low range that has been in your transfer case hiding all this time! After this change there is no difference in how the Auto 4x4 operates and everything works the same as before with regards to the auto 4x4 or 'AWD'. Also having the 4x4 buttons as a quick way to engage 4x4 high is much more convenient than having to navigate through the settings menu in the cluster to change it from 'AWD' to Locked. Now just press the 4x4 Auto or 4x4 High buttons.

Huskyjerk78 likes this.
  2. Todd Z

Todd Z Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner V6 Engine V8 Engine

That's EFFING SWEET !!!!!!! Do you use Face book? post on the forums there.... IF not I will share if you like !!!!

3. Todd Z

Todd Z Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner V6 Engine V8 Engine

ALSO if you do the reverse please share !!!

4. Mike S 3

Mike S 3 Active Member 2nd Gen Owner V8 Engine

I'm not active on FB, so please feel free to share this info over there, thanks! I think OEM style mods like this are great... Its the little things that keep me interested in a vehicle, love this truck!

Mickey Luis likes this.
  5. Huskyjerk78

Huskyjerk78 Member 2nd Gen Owner 4 Wheel Drive V8 Engine

hmmm interesting. Another project to add to the list.