Adding USB/Power Ports

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
Projects from last weekend: After installing a Pioneer touchscreen stereo last summer, I decided I wanted something a little better than just a USB cord dangling from the dash. Something that looked a bit more OEM. So I removed the 12v power port under the console lid and replaced it with a USB port that’s connected to the stereo, then found a right-angle USB cable to plug into it and run to the phone in a bit more concealed manner.

While I had the console out, I also replaced the rear 12v power port with a dual-USB port. My son connects his iPad to this when he rides with me.

b9c1030056d55ad88dcba70d2d36c6a6.jpg

425f9b521dc3020606885ed8c002ebbb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. As a reminder, on my 2010 with navigation, there is already a USB port in the console, along with another on the module under the console. I have no idea what Ford intended for the second port, but I have that routed to the glove box via cable and use it for a music flash drive. That keeps the original one freed up.

Nice. As a reminder, on my 2010 with navigation, there is already a USB port in the console, along with another on the module under the console. I have no idea what Ford intended for the second port, but I have that routed to the glove box via cable and use it for a music flash drive. That keeps the original one freed up.

I have the one in the console also. But when I installed the aftermarket stereo, that port lost connectivity to the stereo. All it does now is supply charging voltage. So that's why installed the one shown above in place of the 12v outlet.