Acetone MPG Booster

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Ellis

Reaction score
OK, added acetone when I filled tank this afternoon. Concentration is about 2.55 oz/10 gal or 0.20%. This is based on full tank and filler tube capacity of 23.5 gallons. So, concentration not exactly known, but close. My last tank was 18.30 mpg of mixed driving in St. Louis area where all gas has about 10% ethanol. Until I fill it again, my driving habits will be the same; i.e., no long highway trips during the next week. I'll report back on this in about 7 or 8 days, hopefully longer. I'm not going to expect any performance difference so I won't be "Looking" for that. Just MPG. I'm well versed in statistical methods, so this test will not be based on one tank of gas.

I suspect you will be right Darin. I'm not expecting any difference, but would like to see if what I've read has any validity. In that one Dodge forum, a guy from St. Louis reported significant results with his 4.0L V6 Ranger using the gas in this area. So, it can't hurt. As for all the concern about corrosion and such, acetone is not as harmful on the fuel system components as is ethanol. My 04 is a flex-fuel engine so there shouldn't be any chance of a problem. As it turns out, my Trac will be taking a long trip this coming weekend to Chattenooga and back. Best I've ever done on that sort of trip is about 20 mpg.

Way to take one for the team. I hear our pistons are made of the same composite as the bed, and the tranny the same plastic as the floor mat hooks. Did you spill some Acetone on them as a test :lol:

Spilled some on the composite bed.......had no effect. There are many plastics that are not affected by acetone or any non-polar solvent such as gasoline. Alcohol is a polar solvent which is much more active than acetone. Now paint is another issue since acetone is a paint thinner/remover product for enamel and lacquer paints....fingernail polish is an example. The fact is, you can degrease the cladding with acetone.

I probably have some around from re-gripping my golf clubs.....

Golf Pride Tour Wrap Midsize. :wub: Trust me.