ABS light on and its not the fuse

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Alcaro

Reaction score
I've researched past postings and did check the fuse....not the problem.

The ABS light came on three days ago (steady on) and there seems to be nothing noticeably different in the ST's breaking. I have a 2002, 4x4.

I am not a mechanic but if I know what to do i can turn a wrench. Several past postings have alluded to replacing the rear ABS sensor. Approximately how much would it cost me to have this done at a local shop?

Thank you in advance..

Bob

The rear ABS sensor is held in the top of the diff housing with a single bolt. You can do it yourself with no problem.

GET IT CHECKED at a place that scans the computer for free, do not just go and replace things, that is senseless money wasted...

Then replace the faulty part.... IT could be a wiring issue and not a sensor..

Todd Z

I know advance and Autobarn does, Try calling a local chain store..

ALSO any FORD owner with an Xcal can scan it for you....

There are planty of members in your area...

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to get really technical, getting it scanned will only tell you basically what system is affected and perhaps what component. It will not tell you anything else, for more info you have to get dirty. Pull the sensor out of the diff and ohm it out you should get anywhere from 800-1200 ohms if memory serves me correct. FWIW 99 out of 100 Ford trucks that come into the shop for an abs light being on ends up being the sensor in the rear diff....but because I said this yours will end up being something different....

What L1tech said, I had it happen on my 03 ST and on my 05 F150. Both times it was the rear axle sensor.

My money says rear ABS sensor.

Advance Auto Parts can not test it for you. To access the ABS system, connecting to the OBD-II port will not work. The ABS system is on its own system.

I am 99% sure it is the rear ABS sensor. Cheap to buy and easy to replace.

Tom

Tom,

My xcal 2 was able to tell me the code on my 03 when I had a bad wire on my rear sensor...

I also had a wire problem, NOT the sensor....

It does work...

Todd Z

I don't know when/if Ford changed that.....

I know my 2000 Malibu was able to be scanned through the OBD port as well..

Maybe it was the scanner that was used.,..

Todd Z

I just contacted my local Advance Auto Parts and I was told the ABS Sensor must be a dealer part because he found nothing in his computer.

I just asked for a price on an ABS Sensor for a 2002 Ford Sport Trac....... Do I have to go through a dealer?

Bob

Call our walls ford sponsor.... the sensor is not that expensive..

ALSO if you have dual exhaust you may have melted a wire and it is not the sensor..

also it could be a front 4x4 hub going bad also....

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts