A/C cool...not cold

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K Stokes

Reaction score
The air coming from the A/C in my wife?s truck is cool, but not cold.

Noticed that only a few drops of water are falling from the evaporator drain. I can hear the compressor clicking, there is no wetness in the passenger compartment, nor is there a smell.

For starters I jacked up the truck and cleaned out the evaporator drain with some compressed air, (nothing appeared to come out nor did it feel clogged.) I also used a spray (just water) to clean the condenser of some very light debris.

I replaced the condenser last year and had the systems vac?ed and recharged?it appears to be holding its charge.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Clutch fan or add a small shot of 134A.

Todd Z

Is it cold at highway speeds, but not when idling or low speed? --check fan and fan clutch, wire connector, etc.

Is it not cold all the time? --Check the charge. Charge pressures will tell you if you have a clogged orifice, overcharge, or non-condensables in the system.

If not AC, check heater blend air door.

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a 'similar' problem. It is just on the passenger side - sometimes blows warmer or hot air when on A/C. Drivers side is always cold. Does this in either dual or normal mode. Which blend door would I need to look at?

Thanks

Get an AC thermometer (parts store or Amazon, less than $10) and stick it in your center vent. I recently had the same issue, and was seeing only about 47 degrees - cool, but not cold. Had my system checked by a competent shop and needed only a small recharge. I was told that normal refrigerant loss is about a tenth of a pound per year. There's your problem.

I added a can of refrigerant to mine this year, along with a can of conditioner/compressor oil. Both are less than $5 at Walmart. I had bought a more expensive can with the hose and gauge last year for the wife's ride and you keep the hose.

The old Town Car knock-around car we have at the funeral home did not have functioning A/C, such that I refused to drive it lest I arrive looking like Donald Trump from driving with the windows down. The owner didn't want to spend the money at the dealer to fix it, not knowing what was wrong. Was at Walmart with our maintenance guy, in the Town Car on a hot day, I was like "Dude, we can get four cans for less than $20 and I have the hose to inject it. Might work, might leak out, but we can give it a shot." Six weeks later it's still chillin' just find and I'm everyone's hero.

Update: Night before I checked the fan clutch noticed that there was a small puddle under the Trac; guess whatever had been clogging the drain finally worked it's way out, A/C back to blowing cold.

Since I had allotted the time for it I checked the fan clutch anyway...all looked good, but I did notice several hairline cracks in the fan blades. Guess another project fro when it gets cool again!

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions!!

Latest posts