6r80 auto trans issues

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krisryan340

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
As of late, it seems as tho there is either slippage, or a shudder once the trans shifts to 6th gear in drive.... at first, it was happening at a higher rate of speed and hard throttle, now, it does it while city driving, at around 45mph, with lighter acceleration. I have done a partial fluid change and filter replacement, with Fords famous rear diff additive that smells so wonderful, seems a tiny bit better, but still there. Has anyone experienced this before, or know what is causing this, or how to remedy this ? 2010 Sport trac ltd 4x4 4.6ltr auto (6sp 6R)

The first gen 6r80’s had some issues with wear in the valve body. There are some kits that can clean the bores up. Kinda sounds like 6th may be hanging up/open.

But, I would start first with a reset of the trans tables and go through a relearn procedure, as that’s easy and free to do(easier if you have access to a good scanner that can clear the KAM in the TCM).

Wouldn’t hurt to do another partial flush as well…. Possibly another service, depending on how bad the fluid/filter was coming out for the first one.

The first gen 6r80’s had some issues with wear in the valve body. There are some kits that can clean the bores up. Kinda sounds like 6th may be hanging up/open.

But, I would start first with a reset of the trans tables and go through a relearn procedure, as that’s easy and free to do(easier if you have access to a good scanner that can clear the KAM in the TCM).

Wouldn’t hurt to do another partial flush as well…. Possibly another service, depending on how bad the fluid/filter was coming out for the first one.
Thanks for the prompt response. You have me curious on the relearn process. I don't have an appropriate scanner. How do I go about, or where would I get the info needed to do the reset of the trans tables, and then the relearn procedure ? Any info on this would be very helpful. Thanks again.

I’m fairly certain a capacitor discharge will clear the tables. This involves removing both positive and negative battery terminals from the battery and isolating them from the battery(not touching the posts). Then you put a jumper wire between the two cables for a few mins. Disconnect the jumper, and reconnect the cables to the battery.

The trans relearn is fairly basic. Bring the truck up to operating temp. Take the truck for an easy drive from 0mph up to 50-55mph(making sure it shifts into 6th), but do not exceed 20-30% throttle. Hold for 10-15sec. Slow down to 0mph fairly slowly, but not excessively slow. Then accelerate with moderate throttle 50-70% up to 55mph, and repeat the slow down process. The truck will learn more as you continue to drive it, but that gets most of the base table made.

Does the truck exhibit the same issue at full throttle?

No, from a full stop, i can floor it, tires will light up no problem, and pull strong. It will shift as it should from there, then ease off, on light throttle, it will shutter/slip, if i let off the throttle slightly, it stops. On the hyway, if i were to punch it to pass, yes, it does the shutter/slip, until i ease off the throttle, and will be fine, until i want to accelerate again

Check your driver side motor mount, and carrier bearing as well.

Latest posts