6CD in place of Single

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is it possible to purchase a 6 disc CD changer out of an explorer or sport trac and have it plug into the wiring for a factory single disk player? If so, will it retain the rear audio controls?

My 02 had a stock 6 disk changer with rear audio controls, so you could put in a 6 disk changer and retain them, though it has to be the normal cd player, not one of the newer ones which has MP3 capabilities (sadly).

01-03 Same

04-05 SAME

if switching between years and if you have the OEM SUB, you may need special adapters or radio.

AND the adrenalin radio will NOT work.

Todd Z

If it doesn't have MP3 CD capablity, why bother?

My sentiments exactly.

Also, most 6 disc non-mp3 changers cannot have an auxiliary hookup (mine couldn't), and if they could, it would require disabiling the rear audio controls (one port can't hold 2 plugs concurrently).

6 normal cds is 480 minutes, which is 8 hours of music, maximum.

An MP3 cd has 700 megs of space. Saying a 5 minute mp3 is 5 megs, that's 140 songs, or 700 minutes of music, which is over 11 and a half hours of music.

One MP3 cd can obliterate a whole 6 normal disc ensemble. That's why I made the upgrade. Also, I can now add auxiliary input at my leisure which will allow all the stuff on my mp3 player to go in, which could easily double (at least) the ~11.5 hours of music.

The RAC were a cool novelty--I could reach back and control the radio, which left my front passengers shaking their heads a bit, but other than that, I didn't really see a point to it. I didn't have passengers enough to experiment with it (and I'm not sure how it works--you can listen to 3 radio stations at once, essentially?), but it didn't seem worth it--headphones take passengers out of the conversation, which sucks, and the Driver dictates the music ;)

Granted, if you can't use them then you just have cool light up buttons that do nothing, but what do you really use them for now?

My $150 Sony XPlode head unit (which I'm very happy with as far as capabilities go) is a one CD player. But it's MP3 capable. That means I have 150 songs on a CD which lasts many hours. It also has a USB port on the front, in which I have a couple of flash drives loaded with 650 songs each. Then it has a AUX port on the front for some other source of music, like my Zen Vision M, which has most of my library of 6500 songs. Then it has an iPod adapter that I can plug my 8GB Nano into for even more choices of music.

That's A LOT of choices for $150.

I like choices. :cool:

As far as OEM goes, if you click on my wrench you will see where I added the factory sub. However, in doing so, I also added the 6 disk as I had the single disk / cassette player..

Latest posts