5r55e

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just my opinion, but while there are newer model year transmissions that will fit your 2002 Sport Trac, I don't think that there enough improvements to warrant the extra effort or expense. Most transmission shops will just simply swap your transmission for another 5r55e without concern to the model year. Most of the newer Ford transmission are still all based on the old 4 speed version of the 5r55e. Ford has added a number of improvements/modifications to help the reliability, but have still not solved the problems

My best advice would be to replace the old 5r55e with a rebuilt version of the same transmission and try to get the best warranty you can get.....That should at minimum be a 6 month/6K miles. Based on price, the better the warranty, the better the deal, however almost any transmission hack can rebuild a transmission that will last 6 months.....so I would always look for the longest and most mileage warranty

I should also mention that most transmission shops do not specialize in repairing transmissions. They simply remove and replace malfunctioning transmissions with factory rebuilt transmission. It's very rare that these shops will have the technical skills to diagnose and make repairs onsite. It's just more profitable to hire people who can twist a few bolts and replace transmissions than to hire experienced transmission techs.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator: