50,000 km service

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Len Zinger

Reaction score
I am on my second sport trac, a 2007 xlt bought new in early 2008. It is the V8 with 4x4. I do not do my own service, but take it in to the dealer for all regular scheduled service. I called the dealer today to schedule my 50,000 km service. I was told that they needed the vehicle for 8 hours, they do a transmission flush/service,tune up ( pull the plugs clean reset and reinstall), and the usual oil change, tire rotation, multi point inspection, etc. Total cost approx 700.00.

My owners manual does not say anything about a transmission service or tune up at 50,000 km. The dealer says that in Canada we operate under extreme conditions and that is why the extra service is required at this time. I do not pull a trailer, operate under dusty conditions, etc. However I do drive in our rather cold prairie winter.

Does the dealer have his hand in my pocket here, or is he giving me the straight goods? Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Len, Bob here. I had a trans flush done on my '08 at 33,000 miles at my local mechanic. Cost was about $425 American. Now at 75,000, am planning to do it again. I think the owners manual says it needs to be done every 100,000 (too long for me) It was amazing the difference in the operation of the trans afterward. Much, much better. So I'm thinking that $700 is a bit higher price for all that is being done. I mean, an oil change(Mobil1 and filter) is about $90 here. Tyre rotation I get for free at my tyre store every 5K miles. I change the plugs every 50K miles (8 Motorcraft plugs are over $100 plus install is about $165). Lube the chassis is included with the oil change. All of this is why I chose a local certified mechanic. I leave the warranty stuff/ big things up to the dealer. Dealerships are always gonna be higher in cost, its where they make their real money. They don't make much on selling a car. Please note, aside from the Mobil1 oil and filter, I use all Motorcraft parts and fluids, just to be safe. Good luck, but would think about a local mechanic. As long as you follow the recommended service intervals and keep all records, you'll be OK. Bob

According to the calculator that Google pulled up, that is about 31,000 miles. The plugs and transmission flush are not required until 100,000 miles, or whatever that is in km.

Now then.....

My local service station and the Ford dealer here will both do a tranny flush for about $145 US. Also the plugs on a V8 are not gap-able anyway. That being said, I would get the tranny flushed at 50,000 miles (80,000 km?). It wouldn't HURT to do it now, but it's your money. The plugs you may want to do now because they can be hard to get out if they've been in for 100,000 miles, in your case it's not so much the miles as the time they've been in. Have been told the labor here on changing the V8 plugs can be around $300 US. I would get the transfer case lube changed though, it will look like tar by now.

Latest posts