4x2 Ok In Snow?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Ebert

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a 2010 ST Adrenalin and have located a 4x2 version near me that seems in good shape. My concern is how it will perform in the snow (I live in Michigan) and would appreciate feedback from anyone on this subject. It has traction control and RWD, but I'm concerned especially with the wide tires and powerful engine that it may not track well in slippery conditions. Any suggestions before I buy and maybe regret it later? Thanks!

It all comes down to tires! Thats what gives you traction every time you drive your vehicle. Second is how comfortable the driver is in different driving conditions, you need to know how your vehicle reacts to how you drive it. :driving:

I rode around a 2WD Ford Ranger for years. Threw two bags of quickrete in the back and rolled on. So +1 on the cargo weight. I would take that thing anywhere. But it had good traction on the tires. My ST has good street tires but got me stuck in my own ditch unloading a lawn mower the other day. +1 on tires. Want to know what pulled the ST out????? My old 2wd Ranger. LOL

Tires, lack of weight, and open differential are the largest factors. Open diff, with all-season treads, and no bed weight will quickly drive you crazy in the snow. Spin spin spin. LOL. If you buy good quality tires with a good tread pattern, and add several hundred pounds in the back you will be fine. I have a 4x4 with 32" Grabber AT2 tires and 200 lbs of rocksalt in the bed and I had no problems this past brutal winter in Ohio. Most of the time I could have gotten around in 2wd with easy acceleration. Tires are key.

I could not believe the difference in traction when I switched over to a set of dedicated winter tires. My ST came with a good set of Michelin street tires on it, which works great in spring, summer, and fall, but they didn't quite cut it for me for the harsh WI winters we have. I now switch over to a set of Cooper M+S snow tires with a couple hundred pounds of sand in the back. With that set up, the only time I switch to 4x4 is on the harshest of the blustery days and when I know there is a good possibility of black ice covering the roads.

Good luck with your decision.

Gen 2's have traction and stability control. With an Adrenaline I'd ditch the 20" wheels for the winter and get some used regular Explorer wheels and put dedicated snow tires on.

I have Bridgestone Blizzaks on the wife's minivan and it goes as good in snow as my truck and probably stops better.

I did the same thing with my Adrenalin. Those 20s will get destroyed pretty easily in winter. I went out and purchased 18" explorer wheels for $200 and Good Year Ultragrip Ice WRTs. I have run them for the past 3 winters and they are still like new. Much better tread life and winter grip than the Pirelli Scorpions

2 wheel drive has great traction, If As the others said.. you have good tired.

but its also on your driving too.

most people dont remember.. 4 wheel drive is just thats.. DRIVE.. Not STOP.. you have the same stopping as any other vehicle.

used to drive a 2 WD mazda B2000 pickup.. never got stuck in the snow or ice.. and i also pulled a few 4WD forgien trucks out of snow banks..

Latest posts