434 on the dyno

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aaron, I so share your sentiment "Besides - Times mean nothing to a daily driver"! :supercool:

We had the same issue of getting the rpm up high enough so that the truck would not shift in the power band, plus with the wheel base of my truck barely fit on the dyno rollers. I still cringe watching the dyno video I took.

I'm yet to take mine to the track. I guess if the ST\STA guys from the E-town area were inclined to make the trip up to Lebanon Valley Dragway, I'd have no choice but to go for it! :grin:

In the mean time, I know I'm content to just having fun on the open road. The surprised looks after "hammer time" episodes and the ocassional encounter are priceless. :driving:

our closest track (1/4 or 1/8th) is 3 hours away. e-town yes :driving:

street racing vs track racing are apples and oranges.

gee, i can beat a vette in my scion if conditions are favorable on the street.

the track numbers are real and there are no excuses.

so as far as i am concerned, until the numbers are produced, who you beat on the street means nothing.

Wow, I wasn't looking to ruffle anyone up by my comments. I hope my suggestion at a fun track get together wasn't taken as some sort of serious race challenge. I didn't mean to give the wrong impression.

I get a sense that no time slip = no contentment, and even that may not insure satisfaction. I didn't modify my truck with the intent of validating it with a time slip. If that is the litmus test then I will continue to be a disappointment. I would look forward to seeing a video post of the scion beating the vette, if the conditions become right.

What conditions need to be right for the Corvette to loose to a Scion on the street?

Does the Corvette driver have to be unskilled? Does the Corvette have to be poorly maintained & so it underperforms?

Are we talking a flat street, a hilly street, a curvy street, or a combination?

How long will the distance be? I mean, if we assume the Scion could out-accelerate the Corvette for a block (and then fall behind), and knowing this you make the racing distance a block, then obviously the Scion should win, but it wouldn't be satisfying. Winning with a gimmick never is :grin:

Enlighten me, as I can only see this as a "tortoise vs hare" race, and we all know that the only reason the tortoise won that is because the hare decided to take a nap midway through the race.

On that, I could use a nap right about now :bwahaha:

Last edited by a moderator:
A Scion could beat a vet in a quarter mile during a snow storm. Other than that.... Not a chance in hell.

Maybe the driver of the vette didn't know you were racing him?

Think about it. 150hp i4 2500 pounds VS 3000 pounds with 360 plus hp. Just not possible. Especially if the vette has some kind of launch control.

Chargedtrac,

You are running less boost than he is. Brenspeed has done hundreds of these trucks and they won't tune past 400 to the wheels because they say, in their experience, the truck can't handle it.

If you hange your pulleys you will make way more boost and you can get a lot more power down.

Ask Chandler how much more you can get out of your setup IMO .

Awesome numbers. I've watched your build from your first mention of it. Not that I feel it has any real meaning to you, but I approve. Good work! I always appreciate nice and clean, and even better when topped off with speed.

gee, i can beat a vette in my scion if conditions are favorable on the street.

:bwahaha:

My Sport Trac can fly higher than a helicopter...if the tornado is strong enough.

the scion vs a vette was put out there as racing on the street is not accurate.

i have both and know which vehicle is quicker even though the vette is 23 years old and pushing a whopping 240hp.

the point is that at the track it is a controlled enviorment and that you get more of an accurate idea as to what is quicker.

a 1/4 mile time is more accurate then speculation and what you think it should run.

not looking to pee anyone off, but imo, speculation is not as near as valid as accuracy.

Not valid to you. He knows his truck is fast and it may be the only validation he needs.

So far, his and Chargedtrac's trucks are the only Gen2's I would personally care to own. If a truck isn't good off road or able to haul heavy loads, it damn well better be fast. But that's just my opinion.

I still don't think your Scion could touch a 23 year old Vette lol.

Other than track length and street racing being illegal...what's the difference versus a strip?

If you're side by side and the light turns green....

I guess if you're at a track maybe you would expect the drivers to all be better? hmmm I don't see a difference in experiance street racing or experiance on a strip.

I've done both and I'd have to admit there really is no difference. Faster is faster.

maybe in the next few weeks, I will hit the 1/8th just to show whatever to whomever... See, the bad thing about the track is I ill be paired up against god knows who... I would hate to see my ass waxed by someone set up for drag racing... See how embarrassing that would be... No one would look at the time on the board, they would just look at the fact that I lost. So whatever the time... And if I could be paired up with a bone stock Adrenalin, it would give baseline and the wow factor... Ya see....

good one les, :grin:

"I still don't think your Scion could touch a 23 year old Vette"

sure it can. it holds 5 and has cargo room for 2 hounds :bwahaha:

"I would hate to see my ass waxed by someone set up for drag racing... See how embarrassing that would be... No one would look at the time on the board, they would just look at the fact that I lost."

.....or be beat by another suv/truck.

i am interpreting this statement as you only want to pick and choose who you race. or if you don't think think you would win, you will bow out. i have taken numerous vehicles to the track and have lined up against a 10 second vehicle as well as a 18 second vehicle. it is all in fun and you can see what your vehicle will truly run.

all professionals measure vehicles performance by 1/4 mile or 0-60 times not dyno pulls.

so my point is, it is your choice on what to do, but don't brag about how many vehicles you beat on the street. street racing is NOT accurate. a traffic light does not count as a start. on the street when does the race end? when you are ahead?

hey all in all, you did a great job with the upgrades but i hope you understand my side. i would be more then happy to see you run a 13 second 1/4.

:banghead:

Hugh - thanks for the comment.

Psycareyo - For me it's not worth the $$ to push a bunch more out of my ST. I'm just not interested.

I have nothing but admiration for what Supercharged SVT has achieved. If he does end up making it to the track, I'll be curious to gleen some 'off the line tips' and see how the 60' times are. From my track days, hooking up, getting optimum take off and a good 60' time can be a challenge.

Until I can make it to the track, when I run my truck weight and dyno numbers through a 1/4 mile calculator, it doesn't get me too excited about the possibilities (~ about 13.92). Supercharged SVT on the other hand (with a guess on truck weight and punching in his dyno numbers, comes up with around 13.15...which would get me real excited that he could potentially be able to work into 12 second numbers. That would be frigin cool. An 1/8 mile time I would think be tough to "accurately" extrapolate to 1/4 mile time. Since there is no consideration in the calculator for a real run take off (spinning the tires and such), its all hard to say without just going for it. For me, having a chance to be in the 13's in the 1/4 I would be very happy with. I just want to make sure I did everything in prep to make it happen...like lose a few pounds too. :grin:

After checking back at the weight on Todd Z and Bob C's trucks when they did their runs at e-town, the weight numbers I punched into the 1/4 mile calculator may have been a little light. Maybe I should consider some upgrades cause 13's could be overly optimistic. :driving: :banana:

There's a few calculators out there if anyone is interested for fun to check out. This was one that I picked:

Latest posts