36K in under a year

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Stadnicki

Reaction score
So long warranty. Purchased new on Feb 2, 2010 and went over 36k miles last weekend. :sad:

Glad I'm mechanically inclined and can keep up on oil changes, tire rotations and maintainance.

I traded in my '01 at around 6 1/2 years with over 73K miles. All 4 ball joints replaced TWICE each under extended warranty. I traded in my '07 in July 2010 with a little over 50k miles. I had an extended warranty from warranty direct. I used it for the entire rack and pinion system ($1000) and a few other things. Also the tranny went at 46k miles that was covered under the 5yr/60k mile ford drive train warranty. Can you believe that I traded it in on a 2010 ST after all of that? :banghead:

Yea, they have a 36K bumper to bumper warranty and a 5/50 Powertrain warranty.

Your point?

Tom

Caymen,

My point, which is pretty easy to predict, is that Ford's warranty is simply not competitive.

If the quality of the Fords are as good we are lead to believe (I'm not debating that) then it costs Ford little to nothing to extend to 6/60, right? And, doing so would make them more competitive, right?

I guess I was being sarcastic, for that I apologize, especially since it is uncharacteristic. Ford NOT extending their warranties is a bad idea (NOT a bold move)...unless of course it would cost them in the long run. Which, if their quality is as it appears should not be the case, right?

So, I'll ask you...Why do you think Ford has some of the shortest warranties in the auto industry? I'll further ask: Do you think it is a good idea, and if so, why?

TJR

6/60 would be nice, but no one else offers it.

then it costs Ford little to nothing to extend to 6/60, right?

It would cost Ford, or any manufacturer, billions to extend warrienties for 6 years. Who do you think pays for this, the consumer.

The manufacturer offering the longest car warranty in 2010 is a three way tie. Kia, Hyundai and Mitsubishi all offer a 5 year or 60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty. This means that no matter what goes wrong with the vehicle, it is covered during the 5 year/60,000 mile period. These manufacturers also offer unlimited roadside assistance during the warranty period. These warranties are significantly longer than the majority of manufacturers, which offer 3 year and 36,000 miles warranties.

Les,

I should have said 5/60, not 6/60 so that its more of an apples/apples comparison.

Still, it would only cost Ford BILLIONs if there would be a lot of defects and repairs fixed between the current 3/36 and the new 5/60. And, that shouldn't be the case if their quality is good...right?

The message that Ford's warranty sends to many consumers is that the quality of their vehicles isn't as good as Kia, Hyundai, and Mitsubishi, or at the very least, they don't stand behind that quality for as long as those competitors.

What is it costing Ford by arguably sending that message?

TJR

I'm kinda kicking myself for not getting an extended warranty this time. The problem is I don't trust them, I got burned once by one. Consumer Reports and other consumer advice shows or sites don't recommend them either.

Stad,

When I bought my '07 Focus it cost me $180 to extend the 3/36 to 6/72. At that price I couldn't pass it up. Still under warranty, 4 years later..still getting "Ford - Where Quality is Job 1" stuff fixed under warranty, too. Still need to take it in to get the electric trunk lock to work properly, again, and an intermittent airbag light fixed, again.

TJR

I can get a good look at a steak by sticking my head up a bull's @$$, but I will take the butcher's word for it.

Point is, Toyota does not have a better warranty. Honda does not have a better warranty.

Why does Kia have a better warranty? Because they need some type of gimmick to sell those cars. As for Mitsubishi...they need that warranty.

Tom

Caymen,

Arguing which warranty is better is kind of pointless. What is not pointless is the simple truth that to many consumers a longer warranty is a positive selling point...plain and simple.

TJR

"Why does Kia have a better warranty? Because they need some type of gimmick to sell those cars"

i guess the gimmick must be working. kia sales up 48.2% / hyundai sales up 45%.

bottom line is they are building better vehicles (just as ford iS doing) and reality is you need to broaden your knowledge :banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
I know what the sales are. If you may recall, you were the one that thought Japan was selling more care in the USA than the USA was. You were proved wrong. You even thought that there were other countries that were selling more cars in the USA than the USA was.

You even thought Toyota sold more cars in 2010 than Ford did. You were proven wrong on that too.

Don't tell me I have to broaden my knowledge.

Tom

"If you may recall, you were the one that thought Japan was selling more care in the USA than the USA was"

never?

" You even thought that there were other countries that were selling more cars in the USA than the USA was."

as i do, please show that i said this.

"You even thought Toyota sold more cars in 2010 than Ford did"

again, unlike yourself i admitted i was not correct.

:back2topic:

accept this: there are other auto mfg's (not just ford) that make quality vehicles.

broaden your knowledge :banghead:

Gary,

You are forgetting one important detail. I don't care about other auto manufacturers. Toyota is junk. Honda is junk, but better than Toyota. Hyundai, Kia, Nissan, etc. are junk.

This is a website for promoting the Explorer Sport Trac. This is not to promote Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Kia, Nyundai, or anyone else.

I will continue to bash other automakers and I really do not care what you think. Get over it.

Tom

Apathy, especially as it relates to one's competition...another bold move.

Maybe that attitude is or should I say was shared throughout the Ford culture? That would go a long way towards explaining 1977 through 2007 (thirty years of arguably lackluster performance during the rise of the imports).

Just a thought.

I'm glad that it appears that Ford has started to care about the competition and recognized that standing on one's once great laurels is not enough in a global marketplace. Funny that so many Americans can't figure that out. In the global marketplace all is NOT equal, all is NOT fair. One can whine about it, or one call pull themselves up by their bootstraps and simply DO BETTER, DELIVER A HIGHER VALUE product or service, and make their own destiny.

Or, one can bury their head in the sand and pine for what was and complain about what should be.

TJR