• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SportTrac Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

3" lowering - has anyone had any issues with adjusting camber?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Wettstein

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am lowering my 04 st 3" and need to know if anyone has had any issues with having the camber adjusted or having it aligned period.

Sorry, category should be suspension.

Thanks.

Lee.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will have to install camber bolts and washers. Some say the '04 already has them. My '04 doesnt'... Not shure, but 3" might reqiure special camber washers.

You will need to install cam bolts kits..There is not enough adjustment to fully align it properly. Mine is lowered and the alignment is perfect with those kits!!

Beyond a 2 to 2.5 inch front drop wreaks havoc on the 4x4 CV and components, I've heard.

You will also have to modify, replace, or remove the stock front bumpstops.

BTW, did you end up getting the DoetschTech Nitro Slammer shocks?

Thanks guys.

Yes, I just picked up the torsion keyways today, and I am going to order the nitro slammers within the next few days.

i ordered my camber setup from ebay, installed it then had it adjusted by the dealer since they got the spiffy expensive computer i dont

Eddie is correct. The stock Gen1 Sport Trac does not have adjustable camber settings and require special eccentric camber bolts to adjust the camber. These special bolts are kind of expensive and I have heard of people paying $80-$100 for a kit. What is odd is that some Sport Trac's need the kit just for a standard alignment (without being lowered). I guess the torsion bars can get weak and cause the supension to settle and it knocks the camber out of tolerances.

...Rich

this is the kit i got

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPC-FRONT-CAMBER-CASTER-KIT-EXPLORER-RANGER-SPORT-TRAC-/250801284327?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a64ebe4e7

i have monroe sensatrac shocks on my truck with the load adjusting in the back

Also using Sensa-Tracs although I'm dropped just slightly over over 2 inches.

Two years without problems. Ride quality is a lttle softer than I prefer, yet to bottom out.

What are you doing for front bump stops, or are you removing them?

I was thinking of removing them or ordering some pancakes. Is that the sensatracs thats makin it a soft ride, because i'm skeptical of the nitro slammers making the ride horrible.

I have used Monroe Reflex on the front and rear for 6 years now, no problems.

What are you doing for front bump stops, or are you removing them?

Don't go without bump stops, you will hit the control arm eventually. Either buy some shorter ones or cut yours to fit. Explorer Express is one good source.

Bought my ST with OEM shocks at 46K. Anything would be have been an improvement.

I considered the Nitro Slammer's, just hadn't heard of any ST owners using them. GL

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am running kyb monomax right now so I will see how they feel after it's lowered before I do anything. I will post some pics after it's done next Friday.

Cheers

:haveabeer:

I'm surprised the sensatracs work for you, 3" is alot for a stock size shock to compress. How's the ride?

ride is perfect, and when it gets soft, ill adjust to High on the rear and be ok again

had them for over a year now with no problems or bottom outs and still have the stock bumps in place

ride is perfect, and when it gets soft, ill adjust to High on the rear and be ok again

had them for over a year now with no problems or bottom outs and still have the stock bumps in place

Reaper; Is your st a 4x4 and are you lowered a full 3" in the front?

Latest posts