2010 sport trac: any powertrain issues

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max Trax

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I haven't posted on this board since i sold my 2001 ST. Anyways, I am in the market for a new ride, but i can't quite forget my last ST, so I am considering purchasing a used '10 gen 2 ST. I was wondering what the reliability is like with the V8 ST and what to look out for in getting the 2010. Is the 2010 free of issues, and engine problems? This question has probably already been asked, but it's an excuse to post on the site.

thanks in advanced,

Mxtrx

the 2010 is a great truck. I have learned a lot about these trucks since I bought my 08 adrenalin a few months back. It isnt as refined as the 10 but I can tell you I love this truck. I had put off buying one for several years because I couldnt find a low mile one. When I found my current STA it had 30k miles on it and I got a steal. Infact I got rid of my brand new sierra elevation to buy it. I bought my sta because everyone has a f150,ram,silvy but i've seen less than 10 STA's in person and only 2 within 50 miles of me. the 10 has a way better tranny in a 6r80 same as the 5.0 stang tranny. from what i've heard it rides better which is awesome since i love the ride in mine. there isn't a huge aftermarket for these trucks though if you into that like I am but you can get all of that stuff if you have the $$$. I'm sure todd will enlighten us more as he is the guru.

Issues I've had with my 08 V8 now with 105k miles, nothing major I guess

Exhaust manifold

Plugs and a couple of coil , broke 1 plug

Front hub assembly both sides couple of times, need replaced again

Radiator replaced

Ford upgraded the 10 from 08 believe it or not, Seats and suspension were the most notable.

BUT my 2010 4.6 adren has had:

Hub bearings Front (60K)

Radiator 45K

PCM ( main computer) 82K

Transmission (6R80 - not 60) 89K

and now my 2010 v6 cracked the rear end housing at 35K miles !!!

Im loosing faith real dam quick !!!

my 2004 was almost trouble free

my 2003 got a radiator, hub bearings and body mounts. ( current owner is almost at 200K)

Todd Z

60k miles and I tow a 23 ft boat with it. Knock on wood, so far nothing, nada, zip , zilch has gone wrong with it.

2008 Adrenalin 2WD bought at 17k miles, now at 108k. Have had to replace radiator, thermostat housing and transmission electrical plug (common 6R60 issue). Other than that it's been very reliable. Sometimes I notice some ticking at idle, probably from the cam phasers or exhaust manifold, both common to the 4.6L.

60k miles and I tow a 23 ft boat with it. Knock on wood, so far nothing, nada, zip , zilch has gone wrong with it.

talk about the kiss of death...

hope not!

2008 Adrenalin 2WD bought at 17k miles, now at 108k. Have had to replace radiator, thermostat housing and transmission electrical plug (common 6R60 issue). Other than that it's been very reliable. Sometimes I notice some ticking at idle, probably from the cam phasers or exhaust manifold, both common to the 4.6L.

My 2010 at 160k miles- left front hub, 3 thermostat housings! (metal one will be next), shocks, struts, radiator started small leak somewhere, and small oil leak started right side of engine

Thanks for the responses, it sounds like transmission and radiator can fail kinda early. It can get expensive maintaining them past 100k.

Ford upgraded the 10 from 08 believe it or not, Seats and suspension were the most notable.

BUT my 2010 4.6 adren has had:

Hub bearings Front (60K)

Radiator 45K

PCM ( main computer) 82K

Transmission (6R80 - not 60) 89K

and now my 2010 v6 cracked the rear end housing at 35K miles !!!

Im loosing faith real dam quick !!!

my 2004 was almost trouble free

my 2003 got a radiator, hub bearings and body mounts. ( current owner is almost at 200K)

Todd Z
Hey Todd,

MY 2010 STA got all new wheel hubs this year 105,000. I had a computer replaced by dealer but turned out that problem was a bad connector on my evap under the hood. 5 trips to dealer, 4 weeks without the car for a connector clip. Had a radiator done and water pump at 100,000. I have a slight coolant leak coming from the back of the block but it comes and goes. Other than that going good knock wood.