2010 Sport Trac 4x4 or AWD

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Sport Trac Limited 4x4 with a lease end of August 09 and I'm looking into buying a 2010 but I was wondering the reliability of the 4x4 vs the awd. The 4x4 outside of the famous bump hasn't giving me any problems but I'm buying this one and it's going to be for the long haul. So it's a loaded limited or a loaded adrenalin. Any thoughts? :wacko:

I like my AWD but I would MUCH prefer a 4x4 select 4x2 unit. I think the AWD eats up some power and I miss the fun factor of a RWD :)

Although, I shifted mine into 1st gear the other day with the TC off...punched it going around a 90 degree corner from a rolling start. It broke loose on all four wheels and smoked all four tires for about four seconds. Once it was 25mph the TC kicked back in and it instantly was arrow straight and the fun was over!

Even for Dyno tuning...a 4x2 is way better than an AWD. So much easier to find a DYno that you can fit on.

Jdc,

No offense, but I would never get an AWD if I lived in KY. AWD, in my opinion, is for a car that you need to drive occasionally in the snow and ice and don't want to worry about when and if to change into 4WD.

If you get no snow and ice on your roads, then get a 4x4, assuming you do some off-roading now and then.

If you plan to do nothing off-road, then simply get a 2WD.

I had a 4x4 '04 in southern PA where it snows maybe 3 or 4 times a year, and the roads are slick about that often. I used 4wd maybe 6 times total over 3 years.

TJR

I'm slightly confused, and the '09 Sport Trac brochure at the dealer confused me more.

Question:

If you get a V8 Sport Trac do you get the 4x4 buttons with low range or not?

I'd like a V8 next time since I want to buy a camping trailer but I do need low range on occasion.

The 08-09 Adrenalin package either comes in 2WD or AWD. No low range 4x4 mode. The 2010 Adrenalin only comes in AWD and no 2WD option.

To get the Adrenalin package you must get the Limited Package but the 4WD systems are different between those packages.

All other trims get the option of 2WD of select 4x4 w/ low range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, thanks. If I get another one I'd like a V8 but I need low range. I guess they don't want people to think they can go off-roading in an Adrenalin. :D

Latest posts