2009 front drive axles

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don P

Reaction score
Hi, long time lurker, 1st time poster. I have a 2009 explorer sport trac XLT with front end growling noise. looking at it today, I noticed that both the front inner cv joints are not flush & solid with the differential housing like the back ones are. there is about an 8th to 1/4in free play ( they slide in & out by hand very easy ) almost like the spring clips on the end of the shafts are gone. is this normal for the fronts or is this a problem? The boots are not torn & don't see any grease splatter around the boots. I'm not sure of the proper operation of the fronts, such as : should there be some free play while not in 4 wheel drive & when put into 4 wheel drive they lock in & tighten up? I've already replaced the drivers side hub assy & rotated the tires with no noticeable change in the noise. So now I'm trying to look at other potential problem areas. It sounds as if coming from left front area & is tied to wheel speed, the faster I go, the higher the pitch. Turning left or right increases the growling. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Have you looked at the tie rod ends? Are there any other unusual noises besides the growling?

Allen, If he replaced the hub on that side he has already replaced the wheel bearings since they are part of the sealed hub assembly. That would have been my guess as well.

Thanks for the replies,

Originally after reading through the forums, I was also thinking wheel bearings, which is why I replaced the left front hub assy, since it sounded like its coming from that area. I've done the normal checks for wheel bearings ( play in the tires, hand spinning ) & they seem fine that way. The new one I put on is a Moog brand & from what I've read are supposed to be pretty reliable. Its always possible it still could be the right front one going out ( even though there is no play or sounds when checking by hand ) & its just transferring the noise to the differential making it sound like its coming from the left side.

Looked at the tie-rod ends this morning & they seem fairly solid. I'm thinking that if it were suspension type parts going out, that I should be seeing some other issues like out of alignment, pulling to one side, unusual wear on tires. The truck drives straight, doesn't pull or drift to either side & the tires are wearing pretty even. Tires are 2yr old cooper brand, rated for 65,000. 35,000 on them so far. I haven't ruled out tire noise completely, but I've rotated them with no change to the noise.

As far as noises, the growling / roaring noise is really the only things I can really hear. Don't hear any clicking, popping, clunking. It does sound like a bearingish type of noise & seems to be loudest / deepest from 15 - 45 mph. Accelerating / braking doesn't effect the noise but does effect the speed of the truck, which effects the tone of the noise. Higher speed = higher pitch.

When I got home yesterday ( 40 min drive 65-75 mph highway speeds ), I crawled under the truck & felt for heat spots. The bearing hubs weren't very warm, although the brake rotors are pretty good heat sinks. The center shafts of the cv axles were cool. The inner cv axle joint cup was warm but not so hot that I couldn't hold on to it. The differential housing was hot, too hot to keep your hand on it. checked the fluid & its full. The front drive shaft was hot, but it also has the exhaust right next to it & pushing / pulling on it didn't show any looseness.

I also turned the wheels full left & right to check to see if the inner cv axle joint cups would move more than when they are straight. They didn't, so I think they seated correctly.

So I guess as it stands, some of the options are:

1) right front wheel bearing hub assy, transferring noise to differential.

2) cv axle inner cup joints getting worn out, but not enough to cause a clunking noise or a felt vibration.

3) Differential bearings / gears going out.

4) ?

Change RF hub....

Todd Z

Just curious but how long ago did you change the left side hub assembly? Did you do it yourself or did you have a shop do it? Do you know what the spindle nut was torqued to? When I did mine I discovered that the correct spec for the nut was 185 ft lb. I had to buy another torque wrench since the one I had only went up to 150 ft lb. There are plenty of stories of new hubs only lasting a few thousand miles, probably due to improper installation.

I changed it 2 weeks ago myself, noise didn't change. Torqued to 184, per the ford shop manual, had to buy one also that went that high.

I'm thinking i'll probably start with the RF hub & do the cv axle at the same time since the truck has about 104,000 miles on it. Kill 2 options at once for the right side at least.

On a side note, does anyone know if the hubs they sell without the ABS come equipped with the internals & hole so you can just swap out the wire & sensor from the old one? or are they missing those options all together. would sure be nice to save some money going that route. Unfortunately I think I know the answer to that one though.

I would NOT buy the one without......

Todd Z

Also I used Advance auto online for the hubs,,,, USE TRT41 or TRT30 codes for HUGE savings !! Free shipping too....

Todd Z

Thanks Todd, funny you should suggest advance auto, that's where I got the 1st hub & used a 20% code. Think it was " PS20". but will try yours, they look like they should fetch a little better discount.

UPDATE:

Ok, so I changed out the right front hub assy & NO MORE NOISE!!!! :supercool:

I ended up just doing the hub rather than the hub & cv axle since it was pointing to a bearing type noise & not the telltale clicking, popping, clunking of a cv joint problem.

So thanks to ALL for helping me narrow things down.:haveabeer:

I am still surprised that even though the right hub seemed good by hand, that it wasn't.

And surprised that the sound traveled to the left side which threw me off to begin with.

Latest posts