2008 Sport Trac Shifting issues

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Geary

Reaction score
2008 Sport Trac V8 Automatic. Transmission hunts for a gear when cruising while giving very little gas. Mostly on the highway the trans feels like it is juming between gears untill I give it a lot of gas and make it down shift. Then it seems to shif fine. Any ideas? just changed the fluid and the filter, full synthetic fluid and hastings filter. Seems worse since doing this. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
2 things,

DID you follow the procedure 100% for chacking level and filling fluid? Level ground, Transmission over 175 degrees?

The Ford transmissions HATE those fluids, I use nothing but OEM motorcraft.

Disconnect the battery for 30 min, step on the brake and stuff make sure all the power is drained. re connect.

1) start the truck, let idle for 5 min, Then turn on ac and let idle 5 min, Then drive not bringing the motor over 3,000 and let it shift through the gears and slow down slowly... Do the driving cycle like 4 more times...

That re learns the transmission.

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on fluid level not correct. Not in agreement with Todd about synthetic ATF though - last time I asked my transmission how he liked the steady diet of AMSOIL ATF he said he LOVED it.

Mine's doing exactly the same thing (Gen2 v8) and Ford dealership said it was the torque converter.... Hope that's not the case. Will follow this post.

Reporting back, Don Rich Ford in Villa Rica GA replaced the trans fluid/filter and updated the TCM to the latest transmission shift program. Completely fixed the 1/2 issues and the 6th gear highway slipping. They told me battery disconnect did not in fact erase the TCM program but would erase the adaptive shift points. Happy so far, shifts at slightly higher RPMs but no take-off hesitation or bumps when dropping out of 2nd to 1st at a stop.

Latest posts