1. Welcome to the new home for MySportTrac.com!

Please click here to find all the info about the move to the new site!

To access your account you will need to reset your password here

2007 XLT V8 4WD transfer case fluid to refill with?

Thread in 'Maintenance / Service' started by OLE442, Jun 2, 2019.

1. OLE442

OLE442 Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner V8 Engine

Today I checked the transfer case fluid and it's low with the car at temp but not running. Should I have the motor running or not to check the transfer case level? Most info I see online appears to check it not running. The manual said to use Motorcraft MERCON Multi-purpose ATF. Couldn't find that at stores but O'Reilly's said to use the Valvoline DEX/MERCON ATF fluid?
    What is your experience/suggestion.

I'm trying to do more servicing my cars since I have the two post lift but some things I have no previous experience with! I hate to eff anything up trying to maintain things.

Info appreciated,
    OLE442

2. EddieS'04

EddieS'04 Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

That is the only brand O'Reillys sells, in my town. Motorcraft is getting hard to find on local shelves.

3. OLE442

Would the Valvoline DEX/MERCON be the equivalent to Motorcraft MERCON Multi-purpose ATF that is specified in the owners manual? Really don't want to eff anything up on my low mile ST since I'm retired, I can't take big dollar hit as easy as I used to.
    Also, should the transfer case level be checked with the engine running and in park like the transmission? Can't seem to find a definite on this question. My brother has owned GM 4WD's but says they used gear oil (he said he checked his GM TC's cold and not running)so I don't want to use what he says since FORD vs old GM logic might not apply here.

4. EddieS'04

I dont have a 4x4, but. I would think the level should be checked, on level ground motor off. If the gears are turning you might not get the true level. A transfer case is not the same, as an auto-trans. I would say it is a gear box.
    Also I wouldnt use a multi-atf fluid. I would stick with the book version of mercon, what ever brand it is. JMO

5. OLE442

Thanks Eddie.

I actually called the service dept at the dealer I bought it from and asked for the Motorcraft MERCON Multi-purpose ATF and they said it was replaced with Motorcraft Part # XT10QLVC, which is Motorcraft MERCON LV ATF.

So, I bought 2 quarts and drained all the old out and added the new ATF (I 1/2 qts) to the transfer case. It filled a bit over the lip of the fill hole....I waited till it dripped a bit off and put the plug back in.

Checked everything and then set it down off the lift and took it for a drive. All seemed well so I'll be driving it a lot the next couple weeks.

Take care,
    Gary

6. OLE442

Eddie:

I don't hang out here as much as I did a few years ago but it's nice to know guys like you and Todd Z are ready and willing to try to help out! Just like the old days.

Later,
    OLE442

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    swshawaii likes this.
  7. EddieS'04

Gary, We lost alot folks that used to be on the old board. Including helpful folks, that no longer had their Trac's.
    We used to have a good off topic, and got alot of answers to many issues. Not related to Tracs.

8. Todd Z

Todd Z Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner V6 Engine V8 Engine

I answered through your PM to me........

9. Jon OData

Jon OData Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner 4 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

I used Mobil 1 ATF in the transfer case for years although the last time I saw Valvoline synthetic transfer case fluid so I used that. Change every 30k.