2007 Sport Trac XLT V8 4X4 alternator replacement opinions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLE442

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
Some where way to close to the effen city
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Well, when it rains it pours. I've been having the little battery thingy show up on my dash and text indicating a charging issue. Went to AutoZone and the battery checked out OK. The person asked if the problem message was on while I was driving the ST and I said yes. He said most likely it was the alternator. AutoZone sells alternators with Lifetime Warranty but the online reviews give them bad reviews. The FORD dealer has an alternator for $310.00 plus tax and I asked if new and he said no it was a rebuilt unit. I have always used NAPA replacements in the past with no issues. They don't list prices on their website. Any opinions as to what I should replace this with. If the Ford unit was new, I'd get it but why pay premium price for a remanufactured unit from them? It looks to be fairly easy to replace. Thoughts, experiences??

If NAPA has treated you well, and you cant wait on rock. I would give them a call for price, and weigh it out..GL

I'm also a huge fan of RockAuto, but for locally available larger parts always prefer NAPA to the other chain stores house branded junk of unknown quality. Other things to consider are R/A's core return shipping cost and warranty returns. If you factor in shipping, waiting time, and no local exchange or warranty, are you really saving much?

https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?text=alternator&referer=herofitmentForm-newveh

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...433280,electrical,alternator+/+generator,2412

Steve,, has good point. I also prefer some part local. In case I need warranty exchange. Also no hasle with shiping.

I put a Delco Remy brand new alternator on about a year ago from rockauto.com just over $100 if I remember correctly, and a fairly easy job. Wprls good, but bearing has been a tad noisy since day one, I've chosen to ignore it lol.

OK, I replaced the old alternator with a rebuilt unit from NAPA yesterday. I replaced the serpentine belt also. It still comes up with the battery icon on the screen and says check the charging system. The guys at AutoZone checked the battery out and said it was OK and I replaced the alternator...….what could be making this still show a charging system error?

Fuse for the alternator, broken wire, bad fusable link or that alt they gave you is bad. Or belt on wrong.

Wow, not sure how to check those. Bad time of year to be dealing with this crap!

Was driving the Sport Trac today and I'm getting the battery icon and "Check Charging System" message on the screen. I get that when I'm at speed but when I get to a stop sign or stop light, the disappear?? Once I start moving, they come back on. What in the world is this going on here? Any ideas?

Bad alternator, bad battery or slipping belt.

I went to O'Reilly's and they checked the battery out......he said it was OK just a little low on the charge. He then checked the alternator at an idle and it was 14.1 volts which he says is in range. The belt is new and doesn't squeal? Not sure what is going on with the ST?

First of all F chain auto parts store employees. The bench battery and Alternator tests are stupid.
Do you have a vehicle you can hook jumper cables to and run your truck and see if the light goes out?

You have a bad battery or bad alternator.

Seems I remember someone said. If the batt light stays on,but the alt seems to be charging. It represents a bad diode in the regulator. The rebuilt alt may have passed the orignal test. So they didnt replace the voltage regulator. Older ford alt, you could replace the regulator, as it was on the outside of the case. IDK about the newer High amp models.
I would ask NAPA for an exchange.

Well, I had the radiator replaced by the local FORD dealer at my wife's request. I had them check out why the "battery/Check charging system" light was intermittently on and they said that it's a bad alternator. I'll remove it and take it back to NAPA. I hope there is a way for them to check it the new one out when I take it back so I don't have to install 3 or 4 to get a good one!!! Sucks IMO

Well, got it back after the radiator change and they checked out the alternator. They said it's charging but isn't communicating with the truck. They said if I want to get the message to go away, I need to replace the alternator? Does this sound right?

It is possible to get an alt, that is not fully functionaly. I believe the vehicle computer gets its signal from the regulator. You can still get a charge even when the regulator has a bad doide.
I might be a pain in the butt. I would exchange it. Also find out if NAPA has the equipment to fully bench test an alt. Some stores use to do that even when you brung your old one in. This type of test is mush different from testing for the 14volt charge on the vehicle.
I havent seen bench test equipment in parts stores in a while. Knock on wood, the last alt I replaced was in 1996. On a '88 302 T-bird. Chief auto dindt' bench test. It took the 3rd one to work right.

Well, NAPA is ordering another......won't be here until next Tuesday!

The dealer wanted a hundred dollars more for theirs and it was a rebuilt one. So, I figured why not get one from NAPA. Never had an issue with theirs before.

Latest posts