2007 Sport Trac XLT V8 4WD radiator leaking....any info?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLE442

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
Some where way to close to the effen city
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
I have been looking for leaks from my original radiator for years. I checked a month ago and no issues but today, I noticed a leak that looks like it's from the top middle of the radiator. I'd like to hears some members experiences with replacing them and any suggestions and tips. Is a replacement plastic FORD radiator OK or should I try to find an aluminum one to replace it with. Cost of OEM vs aftermarket aluminum. How about ease of install for either? What would be recommended after market aluminum and the cost for it vs OEM. I was beginning to think I had the only non leaky OEM one around....LOL! Only have close to 80,000 miles though. Thanks for any info you can provide.

OLE442

there is no aluminum Gen 2 rad available...... I use a spectra or other name brand, fords is only made by some one else anyway.....
As for changing it you need special tools to get the transmission line off and its a royal nightmare !!! I wind up cutting the fitting and using a nut splitter ( don't dare knick the line or it will leak and not seal) to get it off..... ALSO your supposed to drain the AC and take the "unit" out..... I have perfected it so I don't have to do that........ its not a fun project.

One of my auto teachers back in high school was a Ford master tech for 28 years. He told me a lot of the 4th gen explorers leak from a cracked o ring somewhere in the system. The o ring shrinks small enough when cold to seal, and at operating temp it's expanded enough to seal. But during the warm up progress, it's leaking real slow like, my truck does this and it's why I never see and puddles.

Darn Todd, you're making me hesitant to even try doing the switch myself. Have to get a special tool and then it's still a PITA? Maybe I should take it to the dealer.

the 4.0 leaks from the T stat housing..... the radiator cracks under the overflow bottle, Remove the bottle and there it is !! Or the felt seal from the plastic to aluminum on the rad leak. Crappy design.....

Sorry for the worry but its a royal pain. Some people were able to unscrew the fitting and just re use that, but not for me, I cut it off and save the time...... Now I don't even take the tool out, its just easier......

Todd:

I saw in one video where they couldn't separate the tranny cooler line from the fitting so they just unscrewed the fitting on the line and put it in the new radiator? Also mentions switching the Spectre fitting over to the Dorman with the double O rings...….what say you Todd. I really don't want to do it myself but the original dealer sold out and the new owners will not give me a quote after multiple times calling! Pretty sad. After seeing a couple videos I think I can do it without too much cussing and I do now have a 2 post lift for better access so I may do it in a week or so. Thoughts? I do respect your experience and opinion in these matters.

If you unscrew the fitting 1 at a time you will not drop the cooler into the radiator and make for a bad day. As for the double o ring, I always lubricate the pipe with trans fluid before assembly so I’m not worried about that. It’s not a bad job, just time consuming. Too bad you are not close to NY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's still raining and pouring in my Sport Trac world. A week or so, I let the car sit at an idle for 15 minutes to try to keep the battery charged and it was leaking coolant on my driveway. Not pouring but dripping enough to see a noticeable spot. After replacing my alternator, while I still had it in the garage, I hooked up my coolant leak pump and pumped it up to 20 lbs and can't see any leaking. I let it sit for an hour and it doesn't drop in pressure. What the heck is going on. Could the cap be bad to where it's building up more than 20 lbs pressure? Suggestions? Frustrated!! I have an appointment for Friday to replace the radiator......wondering if I should cancel and just buy the FORD radiator and wait?

Another site says to switch to the 16 lb RS-76 Motorcraft cap?

Probably radiator. I always said to switch to 16 psi cap.
Also The Ford dealership not just go and replace the radiator. They should test the system to where it’s leaking from first

New radiator installed by dealer, I put a new 16 lb cap on it and it works. Dealer wasn't 100 % good to me but it got done! All is good.

Latest posts