1. Welcome to the new home for MySportTrac.com!

Please click here to find all the info about the move to the new site!

To access your account you will need to reset your password here

2005 Starting Issues

Thread in 'Help Forum' started by Iqoniq, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Iqoniq

Iqoniq Member

Hi.

My 2005 Sport Trac doesn't start. It cranks, but spark isn't finding fuel.

First, history: Radiator went out, so I installed new radiator, water pump, and thermostat. Started the truck up, it ran rough, and died. Started it up again, it ran fine, went to town. Started it up at the store, ran alright, came home. The next day, wouldn't start.

Now, I've replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter, and checked for fuel pressure, which I have. I've also checked for spark, and I have it, so it's not my distributor. Additionally, the fuse for the injection system isn't blown.

Finally, I've read comments in various places about O2 sensors causing a vehicle not to start, but I have a hard time believing an 02 sensor would make fuel and spark fail to catch. I can absolutely understand it causing it not to run, but the ignition should still try to start the truck.

Any ideas of what to look after next?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  2. Todd Z

Todd Z Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner V6 Engine V8 Engine

I bet the crank sensor or wire may have been damaged during the rad leaks or install.....

3. Iqoniq

Iqoniq Member

If the crank sensor was damaged, I wouldn't have spark though, right? I'm still going to check it, though. Thanks for the idea.

4. Iqoniq

Iqoniq Member

I replaced the crank position sensor. No dice.

5. EddieS'04

EddieS'04 Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

On the '04 and '05 Tracs they have a fuel presure control sensor. It is on the driver side fuel rail. All Tracs before that had a fuel return system, with a constant volocity pump. You have a varible speed pump, when the motor is running. You should have gotten a code about the presure sensor. I have had to replace my sensor once.

6. Iqoniq

Iqoniq Member

You're suggesting that perhaps the sensor is telling the fuel pump to not run? I'll test that idea out, since I think I'm about to disassemble the entire fuel system anyway, but there's certainly pressure in the fuel line between the fuel filter and the engine, so at some point, that fuel pump is definitely running.

As far as the code, I might have one, but since I can't get the truck started, I don't know if I have a CEL. And I don't have a scanner.